dvd sound and wire type question

S

skicupl3

Audiophyte
just got a 50 inch plasma and onkyo surround sound. 1st question: My cheap philips dvd player when plugged into the onyko and I tried to search the menu of the dvd player only put out sound from the woofer and front left speaker. I tried changing the speaker wire but that did nothing. do I need a better dvd player.? #2: I looking at upgrading the wire to either monster 14/2 or the navajo flatwire by monster. Is one better than the other, and what is the gauge of the flatwire.? also is there a special wire to run the wire into corners without damaging the wire? thanks:confused:

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
did you get any picture on the TV from the DVD player?

S

skicupl3

Audiophyte
picture was fine, only problem was with the sound

picture from dvd a okay, the sound seems to be the problem.I even went to the menu on the dvd and tried different speaker settings, however I still had the same result.

JVC

JVC

Banned
You'll probably need to go into the receiver's setup menus, and setup the system, for the equipment you're hooking up to it. The main setting in the dvd player's menus, you need to set, is to set the audio output to "Bitstream", and not PCM. Then set receiver on "Digital Auto". Not familiar with Onkyo, so don't know their terminology.

You may need to activate the surround speakers, set the distances, and set the levels, for all the speakers. May need to turn center channel "ON", or say "YES" for center. With center channel "off", you'll get a "Phantom Center", from the mains. You'll probably need to turn "ON" the sub, and set speakers to "Small", if you have one. If you don't have a sub, set the speakers to "Large", so the LFE (bass) signal will go to the speakers woofers.
Take your time, and go through the process in your owner's manual, step by step.
Good luck!

BTW.............
Don't waste your money on Monster cables and wire!!!!!!!
You can get very good 12 ga. speaker wire at Lowe's or Home Depot. See here for cables: http://www.bluejeanscable.com/ or Radio Shack, but don't let the salesman at Radio Shack talk you into Monster cables. They make a good comission on them, because they're so expensive.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
As JVC said this is not speaker wire issue. A couple of additional thoughts from me are: The DVD player worked before you got the new speaker and receiver, yes? You using a digital connection from the DVD player to the receiver? Did you follow the setup instructions step by step as outlined in the Onkyo manual?

Starting over from scratch and making sure every step is just like it is supposed to be according to your manuals may help find a gremlin or two. Also, it is possible you have a defective receiver. Good luck!

Nick

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis