M

Methost

Full Audioholic
Is there a site to go to that lists available DVDs, versions of the DVD, special features, soundtrack etc etc.

Some of the sites I use do not list enough information about what is actually ON the DVD.

M

Methost

Full Audioholic
j_garcia said:
Amazon, http://www.imdb.com/ are usually good references.
imdb is the site I use, but I don't see where it says if a film is out on DVD, or lists the versions available or sound tracks available on DVD.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There's a DVD section in IMDB (not sure how useful it is...) as well as when the first screen comes up for a title match, it will list all versions of the film, though it doesn't necessarily tell you if it is on DVD or not, nor does it list features specific to the release. I usually just check BB for a given title, and they seem to have a fair amount of info regarding what exactly is on a given disc.

You can also try www.dvdspot.com which is for cataloging (see my sig), but it also seems to have the side effect of showing you a variety of versions for certain titles. It is by no means a complete listing of titles though.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Methost said:
imdb is the site I use, but I don't see where it says if a film is out on DVD, or lists the versions available or sound tracks available on DVD.
Actually it does very well.
I will show some screen shots.
It will show the dvd specifics (audio, format, etc..) and whether or not a particular movie has ever been on dvd.

Lets just take for example Top Gun....
Now let me go there and find screen shots.
Please know - Top Gun just came off the top of my head.
Also there are a lot of different versions.
If you are looking for DTS - then make sure you read each version...

Attachments

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I never noticed that DVD details button :D Thanks! I usually just picked a version and it would give you that info if it was on DVD.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I use www.rottentomatoes.com for all my movie needs. It gives a compilation of all the major reviews (movie only), along with two ratings: one tells you what percentage of critics liked the movie, and the other give you its average rating (i.e., three stars out of five) out of ten. And if you click on DVD/VHS, it gives you all the specs for each DVD release of each movie. The specs it offers aren't terribly technical, but they're complete.

cheers,
supervij

M

Methost

Full Audioholic
j_garcia said:
I never noticed that DVD details button :D Thanks! I usually just picked a version and it would give you that info if it was on DVD.

Wow me either. Once again you come through for me Brian. Many thanks!

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Methost said:
Wow me either. Once again you come through for me Brian. Many thanks!
No problem. I have been using it for years. It has the most complete collection of movies and the easiest to use. I have tried the Tomato site and many others, but I always end back at IMDB. Also Netflix members have some decent info there as well.
But you must be a member, non members get almost no info...:(

Anyhow thanks all. And did you read this.;)
Gum (chicklets) for Brian.:p

M

Methost

Full Audioholic
Ok I was just looking at the DVD details for I, Robot. Could someone tell me the difference between Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1? I, Robot comes with both tracks.

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Methost said:
Is there a site to go to that lists available DVDs, versions of the DVD, special features, soundtrack etc etc.

Some of the sites I use do not list enough information about what is actually ON the DVD.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned www.thedigitalbits.com
They may not have EVERY DVD reviewed, but they have all the biggies with the most comprehensive info I've ever seen.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
The main thing I use digitalbits for is the upcoming DVD art.
Its great for breezing through titles that are upcoming releases.
But be warned, you really need a high speed internet for this.
Because each page is like 100 jpegs of decent quality dvd covers.

If you have fast internet, it is a place that is well worth a look.
I did not mention it for this reason.
Also because IMDB has a much more thorough database (IMO).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis