J

JOEH50

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>GREETINGS ALL,
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;I'M LOOKING FOR A DVD PLAYER WITH SACD AND OR ADVD CAPABILITIES IN THE 300.-350. RANGE. THANKS IN ADVANCE</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>You want a Philips DVD763SA! Circuit City is stocking this item at around $199.99. Now, I have NO idea if this unit is any good but you might give it a listen

Check this:

Philips DVD763SA

Edit: This item is new at Circuit City and may not show up on the web site. However, I saw this unit at my local CC on my last vist.</font>

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Eric : <font color='#000000'>Now, I have NO idea if this unit is any good but you might give it a listen</font>
<font color='#008080'>Um... You might want to listen to a lot of units and compare specs before purchasing. &nbsp;Unless someone gives you a specific recommendation based on their personal use/knowledge.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
E

Eric

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
hawke : <font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (Eric @ May 29 2003,01:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now, I have NO idea if this unit is any good but you might give it a listen
Um... You might want to listen to a lot of units and compare specs before purchasing.  Unless someone gives you a specific recommendation based on their personal use/knowledge.
</font></td></tr></table>
<font color='#000000'>Yes, that's a very good point. At around 300 bucks I found the following additional players to listen to:

Sony DVP-NS755V
Apex Digital AD7701

The Sony looks very good from the specs. Maybe one of our members has one of these three players and can comment?</font>

J

JOEH50

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Is the APEX brand a serious competiter?</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I listed every DVD/SACD player I could find at your price point. The selection seems very limited at $300.00-$350.00.

As for the Apex, my choice whould be not to bother with it.

The Sony, on the other hand, has very good reviews:
Sony review

The Sony is progressive scan whereas the Philips is not. If you have a standard TV (not a HDTV) progressive scan will not matter to you.

Since CC stocks both Sony and Philips it should be easy to compare them (if you have a CC close by). I have owned both Sony and Philips equipment in the past and trust both brands. It would come down to which sounds better to you.

Remember that CC has a &quot;no questions asked&quot; return policy
Just be sure to check out the details of that policy as to DVD players.

Now, there is also the Philips DVD963SA to consider if you can spend a bit more ($399.00). This player has SACD bass management. From it's sale/spec sheet it looks very nice. Take a look:

DVD3963SA

So, here's a list of SACD/DVD players I suggest you look at and listen to:

1) Philips DVD963SA ($399.00)
2) Sony DVP-NS755V ($249.00)
3) Philips DVD763SA ($199.99)

If I find any more players in your price range I'll post them here.</font>

J

JOEH50

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I have the Sony DVP-NS755V player it sounds really good. My receiver isnt that high end however it did fit into my price range and had the analog hook ups. The dvd video playback has been great and the sound reproduction for what I can hear is amazing.

Hope that helps.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I had a Sony 755 SACD and its awesome
good dvd player + SACD 6ch + direct CD(/w option on/off)

Highly recommended
</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>Hi.  I have a Pioneer Elite DV-45A, and I really love it.  It's a universal player that handles SACD, DVD-A, DVD, CD &amp; MP3.  I'm really happy with the sound, and mods are widely available to improve it.  You can occasionally find it online for $375 or so, although I paid over $500 new (B&amp;M store, had to have it right away!).

Although I haven't tried one yet, the new Pioneer DV-563A is also a universal machine, and it sells for under $200!  Audioadvisor.com is advertising 'em at $179!  I definately plan on purchasing one for my 2nd system.

The price of universal machines looks like it's poised to drop anytime; certainly the new Pioneer makes any thoughts of getting an Apex machine moot.  I've got a few friends with Apex models and although they aren't too bad for the price, they definately aren't very well made machines, and they have lots of operational quirks.

BTW, I strongly recommend a universal machine- it's a great luxury to be able to buy any disc and know that it will play.  I promise that even on a relatively inexpensive deck like mine, SACD &amp; DVD-A totally creams redbook playback.</font>

jaguars_fan

jaguars_fan

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>A lot of great advice.  I recently purchased a Panasonic DVDF85S changer from Circuit City www.circuitcity.com and have been well pleased.  I payed $150 for it and it will play many different formats, includes the DD and DTS encoders as well as DVD-A with 5.1 outputs.  Mine is connected to a Harman Kardon AVR-300 and some Paradigm speakers.  This unit produces much better stereo sound than the Sony DVP-360 it replaced.

Still, the best advice is to take along some of your favorite discs and go take a listen.  Most stores have at least a 3-5 day window in which you can return a unit (CC is 30 days) so if it doesn't meet your expectations, try another one.  
</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis