J

jdp

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Just woundering what the difference would be if you have a digital amp 5.1 dts (denon 3802) and you bought a dvd player with audio out (2 channel) as opposed to having a dvd player with 5.1 out.

Would you notice any difference with the 5.1 out with only front speakers?</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#736AFF'>Well, yeah, you'd miss a lot of the sound. &nbsp;If I understand you correctly, you mean you only have two speakers?

I've yet to see a DVD player that didn't have a digital out (either Toslink or Coaxial). &nbsp;My strong suggestion is to use that. &nbsp;Why are you using the analog outputs? &nbsp;Are you meaning for DVD-A or SACD use? &nbsp;I can think of no other reason you'd want to use the analog outs instead (unless you've got a REALLY high end DVD deck!).</font>

J

jdp

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Rob,

Thanks for the clarfication, to be clear I have a friend that has just bought top of the line panasonic wide screen, with &nbsp;high def. and progressive scan. He also bought a dvd player and I was suggesting that he buy a dvd player with 5.1 so he could link into his 3802.

Unfortunately his budget just couldn't stretch to a denon, so he's bought a sony with progressive scan but no 5.1 out.

My question was if he only has front left and right speakers (ie no surround) will he miss out on a lot of quality with only the left right audio out.

Your response is he won't miss out on anything if he connects via digital out to amp digital in.

Does this mean that he can still get true surround/ dts (if he had the speakers?</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#736AFF'>Yes, definately. &nbsp;If the Sony has either an optical digital output (Toslink) or coaxial digital out, and all modern Sony's I've seen do, he can connect it to his Denon digitally and get 5.1 sound from DD/DTS. &nbsp;Provided he has enough speakers.</font>

J

jdp

Enthusiast

My denon 2200 (sweet machine) has both digital and 5.1.

What's the sound difference between the 5.1 out as opposed to the digital out.

Does the digital out decode differently?</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Allow me to share what little i know. &nbsp;The 5.1 output of a DVD player sends out analog signals that have been processed by the player's internal Digital-to-Analog Coverter or DAC.and associated post-DAC circuitry.

In contrast, the digital output sends out a stream of 0s and 1s or data packets in the case of compressed DD/DTS signals and therefore bypasses this internal DAC circuitry, &nbsp;A digital connection will instead use the DAC of the receiver or preamp. &nbsp;In this case, the DVD player is reduced to being uised as a transport only component.

Sonic differences may be noticed if the player's DAC is totally different from the receiver's DAC. &nbsp;Some would notice improvement when going to digital because it would seem that the receiver's DAC and associated circtuiry is superior to the player's. &nbsp;And vice versa. &nbsp;It's also possible that no audible difference may be noticed.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#736AFF'>That's the gist of it. &nbsp;The Denon DVD-2200 (like almost every other player in existance) can pass PCM, DTS &amp; DD through the digital outputs, but not a DSD stream from SACD nor the high res MC digital stream from DVD-A.

The 2200 is a sweet machine, and it often sounds better as a CD transport than my Denon CD player, although I'm not sure why this would be.</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic

It makes you wonder if there's any truth to the claim of expensive gear makers that their &nbsp;transport only players have lasers and mechanisms that extract the 0s and 1s better, more accurately or more completely than other digital players.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis