dvd on computer monitor

M

minh

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I am considering buying a LCD TV and a DVD player to watch movies. But I am wondering if I can get the same video quality just watching DVDs on my computer, assuming I get a very nice system (e.g., Apple 23-in Cinema Display). Please help. Thanks.</font>

<font color='#000080'>Use the DVD drive in your computer. You would have to buy a DVD player with VGA or DVI output to get the same quality your computer can put out.

Of course if you are talking about buying a Mac and 23&quot; Cinema display, I'd recommend getting a Dell, 15&quot; LCD monitor, a DVD player, and a Plasma screen... you'll spend less.

I am not bashing Mac, either. In fact, I have a G4.</font>

P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>A computer will give you progressive scan without any additional steps, like having built into the DVD player. The apple screen you mention is widescreen high definition with a digital input. There's little in the LCD world (or any other world) that can touch it for the price.</font>

M

minh

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thank you Hawke and PaulF for the informative replies. Do I understand correctly that a DVD player on a PC (or Mac) is as good as a high quality standalone player (say the Denon DVD2900)? Also, is also true that a good LCD monitor (Cinema Display or Eizo or Hitachi) is as good as an LCD TV? I cannot think of a reason why this is not the case. Especially if in the case of a DVI-capable LCD monitor, it is digital information that is sent. Thanks.

Minh</font>

<font color='#000080'>Audio will be your hang-up. Unfortunately, your options for the Mac are a bit limited, I think. I'll admit is's been a while since I looked at aftermarket audio cards for the Mac.</font>

U

Unregistered

Can a DVD player with DVI output be played on a LCD monitor with DVI input?

Can I use a LCD computer monitor (ie: Dell 1703FP) to watch DVD or HDTV?

I have the Dell 1703FP and thinking about getting a DVD player with DVI output. I want to able to watch movies on my monitor without turning on the computer. Is this possible?

J

Julian Jewel

Play Movies on LCD monitor

I bought the Avermedia TV Box 9, which is quite good. Supports 1024 X 1280 resolution. Plays DVD through composite video/ Svideo ports. Most of the players do not play DVD's out of the DVI output that connects to a LCD monitor.
I tried Samsung / LG and had to return them both, as the DVI output just flickers the screen. But if youre looking for SVideo like stuff, then Avermedia should work fine. It also does progressive scan etc.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
At college I have a homebuilt computer with a ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 video card (Awesome video card, even has a tuner, and it works great - plus I can Tivo! without a Tivo!) and a SoundBlaster Audigy2 sound card. I then use M-Audio DX-4 desktop active monitors (they breakout into RCAs after they leave the sound card) and a ViewSonic VG191b. Works awesome for my applications.

-Chad

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

My brother has a 21" Viewsonic CRT for his PC. I can tell you, with a DVD the picture is stunning! I actually bought the monitor for him, and it's a refurb, but I've never seen a monitor that looks better, anywhere- new or used. I'm actually pissed that I gave it to him! I wish I'd have kept it.

I've seen some hi def content (demo stuff he downloaded online). Simply staggering.

The monitor is a bruiser, just huge and probably 90 lbs. I've always slobbered over the flat panel LCD jobbies, but honestly I'd tolerate the size and weight to have an image like that. 21" is really too small for steady viewing day in and day out (I'm used to using the 100" Da-Lite & FPTV), but for pure quality it's unreal.

And don't even get me started on gaming with it! :eek: :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis