DVD Backup Software Lawsuits... Round 2

So far, Hollywood's lawyers have been able to successfully pull almost every commercial DVD backup application off of the shelves, at least in a usable format. Now a new company, 123 Copy DVD is trying a new solution - offering their software without the illegal DVD decryption software needed to burn copy-protected DVDs. Their solution? Linking to a site that provides the necessary decryption software. Sounds like a good plan, except that both sites are registered to the same parent company... oops. We believe DVD copying for personal backup should be allowed, however with current case law it appears that it's simply a matter of time before this company also goes the way of the others who have come before it.

If you are on the market for DVD backup software, we suggest checking out SmartRipper, an intuitive piece of software that allows you to back up your DVDs by ripping the VOB data files from the disc. Doom9.com has a handy guide on its use.

Read the AP Story

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Here is another option if you are running OS X, and if your not well then I am sorry for you :D

DVD backup

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
What's all these legal impediments about DVD backuping?

The pirates here are thriving with their EXACT and NEARLY-EXACT copies of ALL hollywood and non-hollywood DVDs. Only difference are in the bit-rates. But very minimal.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

There's a boatload of freeware dvd decrypters that work like a charm. According to what I've read, it may be illegal to sell one, but not to give it away. Even if that's not true, how can you hope to put the toothpaste back in the tube? So many people have the freeware versions on their HD's (or, if they're smart like me, burned to a CD-R :cool: ) that you'll never stomp it out.

Just another case of the knee jerk conniption fit Hollywood always has when confronted with Fair Use.

U

Unregistered

Rob Babcock said:
Just another case of the knee jerk conniption fit Hollywood always has when confronted with Fair Use.
This doesn't have a thing to do with fair use, it is all about decrypting encrypted data. It's been pretty clearly stated that circumventing encryption is not OK on US soil, other parts of the world are no problem.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I too believe that personal use copying should be allowed.

BTW, the link pointed to in the "Read the AP Story" didn't work for me today. Just took me to some 'bluepage' with a map.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I'm no lawyer, but while circumventing encyption is a violating of current laws, you could make the case that those laws violate the older Home Recording Act. Fair Use is our right, and IMOHO "legal" and "honest" are no longer the same thing. The industry is using it's considerable money & influence to erode many of our rights, including our rights to privacy and against illegal search & seizure.

No offense, but I believe it's completely about fair use and greedy corporations that are trying to screw us out of something that's been established as our right. And whether or not it will be illegal to decrypt encrypted data is something that remains to be seen- as far as I know, there's only a preliminary injuction while a court determines this. I don't think there's been many litmus tests of that section of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. I could be wrong, though. Stuff changes very quickly.

Again, though, there are lawyers who can't agree on the ramifications of the HRA and the DMCA. So I guess I'm not going to make any more authoratative statement! :eek:

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Here is another one for those lucky enough to be running OS X, Mac the Ripper I have not tried it yet but the interface looks slick.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Rob Babcock said:
I'm no lawyer, but while circumventing encyption is a violating of current laws, you could make the case that those laws violate the older Home Recording Act.
The home recording act only pertained to digital audio. So, I'm not sure of how this could be applied to video/dvds in it's current form.

In my perspctive, the copying, recording or other uses for the person who owns a copy of the movie should be reserved the right of that person. Not dictated by the copyright owner. Once upon a time, the owner of the copyright had NO rights to control what the owner of a LEGALLY OBTAINED COPY of the work could do with that copy of work. Research 1st sale rights. Unfortunately, it seems many things are never even sold today-- at least not in a way that they come under the protections to consumers provided by the 1st sale statute.

Let's consider the home recording act and how it pertains to consumer rights. This was tested in the famous Diamond vs. RIAA case a few years back establishing the right to use the CD data as we wished for personal use on a digital player regardless of what the copyright owner desired. The RIAA certainly did not like losing this case--they fought hard. Now we have these ever cheaper A/V hard drive player devices meant to play video/audio. Currently it would be illegal to rip a DVD in order to use it on your video hard drive player. But you are allowed to do the very same thing for audio? This disturbs me, personally. Why should I be prevented from using video data in the same way as I can use audio data? I don't have a portable video hard drive player currently, but if I did, how could I legally use it to enjoy my favorite movies? I can only suggest you write as many letters to your local congressman as possible. I send in letters on various issues. The only way it will make a difference is if enough people make their voice heard. Either that or let the deep pockets of the entertainment industries win against you -- removing more of your rights as time passes.

-Chris

Last edited:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Looks like that's one thing we do agree on- the erosion of our Fair Use rights over time. Obviously most companies that make software of any kind would love it if it was impossible to make copied of their product. I can understand their point of view, but I don't agree with it.

Still, since it's legal in many countried to use a DVD decrypter, and since all you have to do to obtain the software is to download from the 'net, I really can't see any way for Hollywood to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis