DVD Audio Connection help

D

Digital

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>After much research, I am still confused about the Audio hook-ups for my DVD/CD player. Both the Yamaha AV Receiver and Sony DVD player have 6 speaker Audio analog jacks. Plus, both units have Digital Audio jacks. Which Audio connections do I use or do I use both? Both units have DTS which may play into the equation. Plus, the DVD player has SACD capability and I will be playing lots of CD’ as well.

Thanks, Digital</font>

I

im timmy

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#A8A8A8'>you are to use both, digital for your dvd, either toslink or dig. coax. Use the six analogs for your sacd or dvd-a</font>

J

Juan Solo

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Actually, it's not that complicated. Depending on the type of Sony DVD player you have, I would definitely use the digital in/outs for movies, as the receiver/processor more than likely has better bass management and time/distance alignment (since your speakers are probably not equidistant from your listening position). For sa-cd and dvd-a however, it becomes a more interesting proposition, as you've got no choice. Until a standardized digital connection is agreed upon (some ideas are floating around), you have to use the analog outs! Most, if not all of the early sa-cd players had rudimentary if any bass management and absolutely no time/distance alignment. Some of the newer Sony players have in player digital bass management (Although some convert the DSD signal to PCM for this feature) as well as time/distance alignment. If you don't have any of the newer players, does this make your situation hopeless? Nope!
All that means is that you may have to buy outboard bass management, like the Outlaw ICBM, which actually has better bass management controls than most receivers, processors. So in answer to your question, for now you do need to hook up your player through both the digital/analog connections. Hope this helps.

Juan</font>

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis