Dual SB3000 in small room

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
low pass filters pass frequencies lower than their cutoff. high pass filters pass frequencies above their cutoff frequency.

Most of us set a LPF of around 60-80Hz for music, but for LFE I think they bypass that and run up to 120Hz.

The highpass filter is used to prevent lower frequencies from reaching the driver that might cause over excursion or bottoming out.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
low pass filters pass frequencies lower than their cutoff. high pass filters pass frequencies above their cutoff frequency.

Most of us set a LPF of around 60-80Hz for music, but for LFE I think they bypass that and run up to 120Hz.

The highpass filter is used to prevent lower frequencies from reaching the driver that might cause over excursion or bottoming out.
I’m confused then. The purpose of the post is trying to achieve significant room gain at low frequencies, 35hz and below. Obviously the high pass filter is still active but how does that effect room gain?

should have addressed ShadyJ I think

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Room gain is still there, and the hpf is not a a wall, they are usually 12dB/octave.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Is there a chance that your listening position is in a null? Have you measured with Rew? Changed the phase of both to be zero degrees? Tried moving the subs?

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Is there a chance that your listening position is in a null? Have you measured with Rew? Changed the phase of both to be zero degrees? Tried moving the subs?
They are in a bedroom with a king size mattress, and I took measurements from the mattress. Tomorrow I will get a longer RCA cable and move one to the side of the room and then see if I can borrow a mic boom and take better measurements for Audessey

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Just a follow up. Finally got around to tweaking my setup. Purchased SVS Isolation feet for both subs due to being on hardwood floor and longer RCA cables to position them better and moved second sub to to a side wall. SVS recommended calibrating at -10db but I chose -15db just to give myself the gain I wanted if needed. After calibrating Audessey internally set the subwoofer gain to -10.5 db. I only adjusted the sub below 40hz in the Audessey editor app and left everything else alone.

Listened a little last night at relatively normal volumes to the intro to 6 Underground, Transformers Rise of the Beasts and Tool Chocolate Chip Trip. I think there’s a room mode I need to figure out because even at moderate levels the subs are pressurizing my eardrums a little uncomfortably but it is very clean bass. Later today I’ll play with some ridiculous volumes but I can already tell it’s a huge improvement.

I know the Denon 3800 would be a huge improvement over my Marantz 5014 but that’ll need to wait. The factory AHC suspension in my LX470 died and I dumped an absurd amount of money into an Icon suspension. Money to get out rather than stay in is always a priority.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn’t limit it below 40 Hz, I adjusted the curve below 40 Hz increasing output a little
Thanks, misread that. What kind of curve did you apply below 40hz? Are you sure what's bothering you is below 40hz?

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Thanks, misread that. What kind of curve did you apply below 40hz? Are you sure what's bothering you is below 40hz?
I just gave it about 3 dB bump. That’s definitely not what’s bothering me, I think it’s below 100 Hz, someday I need to exercise a little patience and figure out REW.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just gave it about 3 dB bump. That’s definitely not what’s bothering me, I think it’s below 100 Hz, someday I need to exercise a little patience and figure out REW.
Measuring would be best. From your description of what's bothering you could well be above 40hz in any case. Especially in music.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If your ears are getting a little bass fatigue, you need to turn them down a bit.
If you are in a null or a mode, you should be able to move around by 1 foot and hear a change in the intensity of the low frequencies.
It definitely seems like you still have an integration issue, though.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
If your ears are getting a little bass fatigue, you need to turn them down a bit.
If you are in a null or a mode, you should be able to move around by 1 foot and hear a change in the intensity of the low frequencies.
It definitely seems like you still have an integration issue, though.
I’ll turn em down a little. Unicron’s voice at the beginning of Transformers was almost painful.

Hunter Mike

Hunter Mike

Audiophyte
I have a similar room (12x16x8], and my SB3000’s are set at -25dB using the app. My AVR-X4300 shows -10dB for the rear sub and -8 on the front after Audyssey calibration. I then bumped them 0.5dB for my preference. They’re positioned at the front right and rear left of the room.

Did you do a sub crawl or are you limited in placement?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’ll turn em down a little. Unicron’s voice at the beginning of Transformers was almost painful.
When I first set up my subs to test them out, I did so and followed the "Rough" beginning direction of setting them to 50% gain.
I got that Bass Headache within 5 minutes. Very different from listening fatigue a la too hot mids/highs... more like a numbness in the ears followed by a not-a-headache headache.

Good clean bass is subtle and won't necessarily be heard the way other parts of the frequency range will.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis