Dual Polk subs boomy

K

knorr

Audiophyte
I have 2 Polk PSW10 subs. They are midwall on both sides. I calibrate with Audassey and then re-calibrate to 80 Hz. The sub's crossover is turned up to 120 Hz but they seem boomy on some Dolby Atmos content. Are there some suggested settings for either the subs or the AVR?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What are your mains? If they’re fairly capable you could lower the XO and see. Small Polk subs are likely going to sound boomy no matter what. Have you tried other placement options? Are you seated against the back wall? That can make bass very hard to tame.

K

knorr

Audiophyte
My mains are Polk Monitor 50's and my center channel is the Polk T30. The 50's go down to 42 Hz, the center 55Hz. My surrounds are the T15's, they go down to 60 Hz. I have an open back wall in my home theater. I had them in opposite corners but it felt like I could localize one of them. I had them both up between the mains. It just made voices coming from the center channel deep. Maybe I'm looking for something that Polk can't give me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wouldn't surprise me the basic character of the Polk subs is a bit boomy. What do you mean you calibrate then re-calibrate to 80hz? You just change the xover to 80 from wherever your avr set it after running audyssey? Speakers are set to small? I'd turn the low pass filter on the Polk subs to max value rather than 120, tho (perhaps if you're using an LFE input on the sub it's already bypassed, tho). I'd also try higher crossovers as well as lower and perhaps playing around with positioning your subs differently to tame the boominess. Or use it as rationalization to go better sub shopping!

K

knorr

Audiophyte
Okay call me crazy but I used the SVS tool and it worked great! It said to set my crossover in the AVR at 80 Hz(which I had already) but it said that the LFE should be set to 60Hz. What??? My Onkyo has a limit of 80 Hz. Tried it and my front stage sounded more balanced and open. The bass was always there but not overpowering Watched 1917 and wow!! I still am going to change my phase setting on the subs (0 and 180) to both at 0.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The SVS tool suggests separate setting for the LPF of LFE and this made a difference on movies with a .1 channel? Your Onkyo has an LPF of LFE limit of 80? What model of Onkyo is it? Set the phase switch in a combination that nets you the strongest bass response is about all you can do with those polarity switches....

ps The SVS tool accommodates other brands now?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis