DTS Surround vs DVD-A

S

Sonic

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I am new to these technologies and I have a few DVD-A and DTS Surround discs. &nbsp;The 5.1 experience is enjoyable to say the least. &nbsp;As I do not have a DVD-A player I am wondering what the actual difference in sound quality is between DTS Surround and DVD-A? &nbsp;I do understand that there is 20 bit vs 24 bit transfer rate difference. &nbsp;As most DACs don't go above 20 bit, then what am I missing when listening to DTS Surround?</font>

<font color='#000000'>Check out this article if you haven't already. And then review some of the other articles that speak of DTS vs. SACD... between those you will glean a bunch of the differences.

[Edit: spelling]</font>

S

Sonic

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the heads up. &nbsp;I did read the DD vs DTS article earlier and found it helpful in understanding DTS. I guess I am just trying to find rational proof that would elevate DVD-A above DTS Surround for practical purposes.</font>

<font color='#000000'>In a practical sense, DTS will afford you the ability to utilize a digital connection from your DVD player to your receiver without having to worry about bass management issues (aside form your receiver settings.)

But there are lots of new DVD-A devices and receivers coming out now that have workarounds for that problem (eventually Firewire connections should resolve the issue, though I have no idea what benefit that has [to the RIAA] over coax or optical.)</font>

P

PierreIsHere

Enthusiast
<font color='#0000FF'>I am new to DVD-A and SACD. I have been researching to purchase an AMP. My mind is almost set to the Denon AVR-5803. This receiver has a RJ45 connection, it's the type of connections used in LANs (local area networks), so if I get a Denon DVD player that supports DVD-A and SACD, you can interconnect them through the RJ45 to get a digital link, one problem is it doesn't decode encrypted or copy right data, not until reticently that I read that the Denon got the approval or license agreement to play copy rights through it's digital link. Although the Denon 5803 has the Bass Management option on the analog inputs. Most of the other manufacturers also has digital links like FireWire to interconnect there own products.

FireWire can transfer up to 400Mbps (Mega bits per second), while RJ45 Connection used to transfer 10Mbps in its early stages, the 100Mbps, and recently supports Giga transfers, 1 Gbps = 1024 Mbps. While through an optical cable you can transfer Giga bits also, I really don't know why they complicate things. The RS232 data link for upgrading a processor's software is very popular, although not suitable to transfer digital A/V data as it is very slow, only for upgrades and Home Theater Remote Controls interconnects.
The Sunfire lets you upgrade it's software through data water marked on a CD, you play the CD and by the end of the track you're component is upgraded, so again, I don't know why they complicate things in the first place.

I am an I.T. (Information Technology) guy, been a fan of home theaters for 8 years but never been more into it than the last few months when I decided to upgrade my system, most of my pure technical information I got it from Audioholics Articles and manufacturers' websites. The data transfer rates above are approximates to my best knowledge you might have to confirm them if it's critical to you.

Note: I do post here for whatever help it could do, and for others to correct me.</font>

<font color='#008080'>It will be interesting to see how the next generation of players sound with digital Firewire interfaces...

/me likes the thought of receivers and pre-pros once again firmly handling the job of bass management.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis