saurabh

saurabh

Audioholic
Since DTS is the preferred media for most here, I thought why not try to find whats getting released in DTS format.........

JUNE 2005

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Warner Bros.)

Lords of Dogtown (Sony)

Cinderella Man (Universal)

Howl’s Moving Castle (Buena Vista)

Mr. and Mrs. Smith (Fox)

High Tension (Lions Gate)

The Adventures of Sharkboy & Lavagirl (Miramax)

The Honeymooners (Paramount)

Batman Begins (Warner Bros.)

The Perfect Man (Universal)

Herbie: Fully Loaded (Buena Vista)

Rize (Lions Gate)

Bewitched (Sony)

Land of the Dead (Universal)

March of the Penguins (Warner Independent)

War of the Worlds (Paramount)

JULY 2005

Rebound (Fox)

Undead (Lions Gate)

Dark Water (Buena Vista)

The Fantastic Four (Fox)

Wedding Crashers (New Line)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Warner Bros.)

The Island (DreamWorks)

The Devil’s Rejects (Lions Gate)

The Bad News Bears (Paramount)

Sky High (Buena Vista)

Night Watch (Fox Searchlight)

Stealth (Sony)

Must Love Dogs (Warner Bros.)

COMING SOON

The Pink Panther (Sony)

The Underclassman (Miramax)

The Dukes of Hazzard (Warner Bros.)

Four Brothers (Paramount)

Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo (Sony)

The Skeleton Key (Universal)

Valiant (Buena Vista)

Red Eye (DreamWorks)

The Constant Gardener (Focus)

The Brothers Grimm (Miramax)

The Cave (Sony)

The Transporter 2 (Fox)

A Sound of Thunder (Warner Bros.)

The Man (New Line)

The Exorcism of Emily Rose (Sony)

Everything is Illuminated (Warner Independent)

Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride (Warner Bros.)

Oliver Twist (Sony)

Serenity (Universal)

The Wallace and Gromit Movie (DreamWorks)

In Her Shoes (Fox)

Elizabethtown (Paramount)

The Fog (Sony)

Shopgirl (Buena Vista)

Doom (Universal)

Saw 2 (Lions Gate)

The Weather Man (Paramount)

Legend of Zorro (Sony)

Chicken Little (Buena Vista)

Domino (New Line)

V for Vendetta (Warner Bros.)

The New World (New Line)

Rent (Sony)

Grilled (New Line)

Jarhead (Universal)

Walk the Line (Fox)

Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire (Warner Bros.)

Nanny McPhee (Universal)

Underworld: Evolution (Sony)

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (Buena Vista)

King Kong (Universal)

Fun With **** and Jane (Sony)

Rumor Has It (Warner Bros.)

A Scanner Darkly (Warner Independent)

*Available for playback in the DTS-ES Extended Surround format.

and here is the link :

http://www.dtsonline.com/cinema/find/index.php?ftID=current_releases

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I heard the original title was supposed to be "The Passion of the Deuce". Some of the best one liners ever in this movies prequel! Ever! Yes it is a terrible movie, but it's worth sitting through to get to the jokes. This movie gave me the term Mangina, much to my delight and my girlfriends chagrin. One of my favourite nouns. Can you say Mangina and not smile? Come get some mangina. My mangina hurts. Mangina, mangina, mangina.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Does that fact they are release to the theaters with DTS mean they will be released on DVD with a DTS mix?

DTS is catching on more and more but it seems like the majority of title are still DD.

Shinerman

saurabh

saurabh

Audioholic
Shinerman said:
Does that fact they are release to the theaters with DTS mean they will be released on DVD with a DTS mix?

DTS is catching on more and more but it seems like the majority of title are still DD.

Shinerman
thats very true, only few will make it to the DTS DVD's and I have always wondered that why would producers want to take out DD DVD's for movies which have original cinema prints in DTS soundtracks.....why ????. Also it pops another question, how is the remastering from Cinema prints to DVD is done ????

Anyone has answers, it would be interesting to know !!!

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
DD is mandatory for the dvd spec, right?

I don't know what the process is, but I assume that most are DD only because it is the mandatory audio for DVDs. DTS is optional. I don't know how that works for DTS releases such as the DTS Saving Private Ryan or Jurassic Park (I assume these discs include DD tracks also - maybe 2.0 only or something).

SilverMK3

SilverMK3

Audioholic
My DTS discs have a DTS track and a Dolby Pro-Logic track. I'd assume the DPL track hardly takes up any space at all.

When there is no digital master for a movie and they want to make a DVD, the print is run through a Telecine machine.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
As a theatre projectionist just about all movies come out in DTS. Not a big deal. But it does suck for the HT owners since only a handful will be in DTS on DVD. But this seems to have gotten better.

I think some of it has to do with the director but I may be wrong. Having done alot of research screeenings with industry people all around, DD is the preferred format for most. At least in the commercial end.

One other thing to note is DO NOT trust the newspaper for accurate information on what sound format your film will play in. 95% of the time this info is wrong. Unless the theatre is using only one digital format. Which is not very common these days. Or the theatre ony has two or three screens. The only real way to find out is by asking someone at the theatre or looking in the port glass at the readers on the projector.

Last edited:
saurabh

saurabh

Audioholic
anamorphic96 said:
looking in the port glass at the readers on the projector.
How would you make out by looking at the port glass, can you pls explain ??

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
The DTS reader for film is very small with a silver drum. Very easy to spot. Its roughly 3 inches wide and 5 inches deep.

Dolby Digital readers are black and medium sized. Very easy to see if they are the older models with the Halogen light pipe. The newer ones use a red LED.

SDDS readers especially the older ones are gray and quite large. The newer ones are roughly the size of the DD readers but gray and easy to spot.

Now if the house has multiple readers the only way to find out is by looking at the sound rack. Since one could be a primary and the other a backup. However if there are no readers it could still be digital if they are using a basement reader next to the optical reader. In this case it would be Dolby Digital since ther are no other basement readers for the other formats.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis