Driver replacements for B&W 602 S3

B

BrianC

Junior Audioholic
I've loved these speakers for a long time and not ready to part with them despite the fact that my young daughter recently destroyed the cone on one of the drivers. Can anyone recommend a replacement driver or the obvious place to shop?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Have you contacted B&W to see if you can get a replacement driver?

I'm in the very early stages of learning about building speakers, and though it seems you could just put something in there, there are very specific issues that make doing that a really long odds crap shoot.

B

BrianC

Junior Audioholic
Have you contacted B&W to see if you can get a replacement driver?

I'm in the very early stages of learning about building speakers, and though it seems you could just put something in there, there are very specific issues that make doing that a really long odds crap shoot.

No, not directly, as the injury to my driver happened just last night. But I went on their website and it claims these specific drivers are no longer available.
I know these and similar B&W models were pretty popular years ago, so I'm hoping someone has some experience with alternative driver replacements.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Any other driver is going to alter the sound. If B&W no longer makes replacement parts, your best bet is to just get a used speaker on ebay. From time to time you see people selling parts for the speakers, too, like drivers, grilles, etc. Do a Saved Search and be patient. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I've loved these speakers for a long time and not ready to part with them despite the fact that my young daughter recently destroyed the cone on one of the drivers. Can anyone recommend a replacement driver or the obvious place to shop?
Take the driver out and check the markings, I not sure but I don’t think they make their own drivers (maybe I am wrong) some companies remove the original markings and just put their own label on them. There are only a few good driver manufacturers out there

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
I agree with WaynePflughaupt. Unless someone has a designed replacement; you are going to damage the sound with a different driver.

Hunt eBay, etc for a removed driver.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Take the driver out and check the markings, I not sure but I don’t think they make their own drivers (maybe I am wrong) some companies remove the original markings and just put their own label on them. There are only a few good driver manufacturers out there
B & W make their own drivers and always have.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

No, not directly, as the injury to my driver happened just last night. But I went on their website and it claims these specific drivers are no longer available.
I know these and similar B&W models were pretty popular years ago, so I'm hoping someone has some experience with alternative driver replacements.
I'm sorry to break it to you, but you can not replace that driver with another one. A replacement speaker would have to have the same cone material (Kevlar) as the original. Even more to the point it has to have the same Thiel/Small parameters which defines the driver. All these parameters, which are numerous have to be identical. and that never happens. It would be like finding two people with the same thumb print. Lastly the speakers would have to have the same acoustic response, and that again never happens.

What did your daughter do to the cone? They are made of Kevlar which is just about indestructible. I ask this, as is there any chance of repair?

You need to contact B & W, and see if they don't have replacement speakers, see if they have a recone kit. If they do, then the speaker could be reconed by B & W or a skilled reconer.

Otherwise your only option is the used market. However I doubt one of these drivers, or a single speaker would come up very often.

I should have asked you if she destroyed the woofer or tweeter. The problem is still the same, as B & W drivers are proprietary. So in order to find even a replacement tweeter which might have a small chance of success. However you would still have to measure the good tweeter, to know what you would be looking for. Just mounting a different tweeter would be a problem.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'm sorry to break it to you, but you can not replace that driver with another one. A replacement speaker would have to have the same cone material (Kevlar) as the original. Even more to the point it has to have the same Thiel/Small parameters which defines the driver. All these parameters, which are numerous have to be identical. and that never happens. It would be like finding two people with the same thumb print. Lastly the speakers would have to have the same acoustic response, and that again never happens.

What did your daughter do to the cone? They are made of Kevlar which is just about indestructible. I ask this, as is there any chance of repair?

You need to contact B & W, and see if they don't have replacement speakers, see if they have a recone kit. If they do, then the speaker could be reconed by B & W or a skilled reconer.

Otherwise your only option is the used market. However I doubt one of these drivers, or a single speaker would come up very often.

I should have asked you if she destroyed the woofer or tweeter. The problem is still the same, as B & W drivers are proprietary. So in order to find even a replacement tweeter which might have a small chance of success. However you would still have to measure the good tweeter, to know what you would be looking for. Just mounting a different tweeter would be a problem.
Well it is your lucky day. There is a Tweeter for your speaker on eBay right now at a very good Buy it Now price of $75. If it a tweeter you need, then you had better snap that one up fast.

J

James_Ngo

Audioholic Intern
Are B&W that exceptional? Sorry Don't mean to hijack this thread.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Are B&W that exceptional? Sorry Don't mean to hijack this thread.
Like many brands, there are people that love them, there are people that don't.My only experience is with the 603... so not very much experience at all. :)

J

James_Ngo

Audioholic Intern
I have not had the pleasure to experience the clarity or quality of high end speakers. But just browsing for information B&W, Marantz, KLF, etc they look amazing given the price they fetch. Pretty sure they do sound amazing with quality material or atleast they better for what its worth.

Good luck with your hunt for a replacement OP.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

BTW how are you. That they make their own drivers I did not know.
I'm doing fine. Thanks for asking. We are on the move, and building a home in Eagan MN. We have had delays getting the plans passed and now are held up by the arctic vortex.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis