Down-firing sub in a corner help ?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’m using an old jamo subwoofer because my newer one won’t fit and prob not aloud in my downstairs set up not that I need it for cable.

Model ; jamo a3sub.3
I was wondering if I need anything under it floors are hardwood, and I had it in a riser I took it off not sure if I should place it back on-top it ?
It’s a foot from the corner , beside mlp. I got no other places to put it.

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I’m using an old jamo subwoofer because my newer one won’t fit and prob not aloud in my downstairs set up not that I need it for cable.

Model ; jamo a3sub.3
I was wondering if I need anything under it floors are hardwood, and I had it in a riser I took it off not sure if I should place it back on-top it ?
It’s a foot from the corner , beside mlp. I got no other places to put it.
If you hear vibrations from the feet rattling on the floor, you might want to put something soft under the feet to damp the vibrations. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
If you hear vibrations from the feet rattling on the floor, you might want to put something soft under the feet to damp the vibrations. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.
ok thanks! :D
So the riser shown above wouldn’t help separate it from the floor?
Should I place a small carpet under it , or not if it sounds fine ?
The floor is hardwood, needs finished at some point the vinyl flooring was removed .

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
ok thanks! :D
So the riser shown above wouldn’t help separate it from the floor?
Should I place a small carpet under it , or not if it sounds fine ?
The floor is hardwood, needs finished at some point the vinyl flooring was removed .
That riser won't do anything to reduce mechanical vibration. you need something soft between the subwoofer and flooring, a material that will absorb the vibration of the enclosure. Soft foam would work. Some layered fabric would work. Soft rubber should work too.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
That riser won't do anything to reduce mechanical vibration. you need something soft between the subwoofer and flooring, a material that will absorb the vibration of the enclosure. Soft foam would work. Some layered fabric would work. Soft rubber should work too.
I guess that riser is useless , not sure what it’s actually made for …?? o_O
Could I try something like this or a layer of carpet ? This stuff goes underneath carpeting.
I’ll try 2 layers of it see if it cleans up the muddy bass.
Is a foot from corner fine or should I place sub up against the corner??? :eek:
F692C0C5-C80F-449A-8874-F2F7A63A3C78.jpeg

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I guess that riser is useless , not sure what it’s actually made for …?? o_O
Could I try something like this or a layer of carpet ? This stuff goes underneath carpeting.
I’ll try 2 layers of it see if it cleans up the muddy bass.
Is a foot from corner fine or should I place sub up against the corner??? :eek:
View attachment 59730
If you are getting muddy bass, the problem is likely the location in room rather than isolation. If you have no other place that you cab place the sub, you should try equalizing it. That carpet padding probably would work to reduce some vibrations, but unless you are suffering from a bad floor rattle where the sub is at, it's not likely to be a major cure for your problem.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
If you are getting muddy bass, the problem is likely the location in room rather than isolation. If you have no other place that you cab place the sub, you should try equalizing it. That carpet padding probably would work to reduce some vibrations, but unless you are suffering from a bad floor rattle where the sub is at, it's not likely to be a major cure for your problem.
The floor is unfinished, my mom ripped out the flooring then never fixed it . The padding seemed to help the sound a little bit.
I have to watch Netflix sometime to judge the bass spectrum app has bad sound quality I can’t adjust it based on that. Or I go to Netflix and it’s super loud lolz o_O
Wish I could optimize it for different inputs my but avr in not sure how Onkyo 818.
I don’t have hardly any carpet squares didn’t try One of those.
It’s not just the sub , if I turn fronts on full range there not getting much bass either, I run them 80hz tho . On spectrum app.. ofc

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The floor is unfinished, my mom ripped out the flooring then never fixed it . The padding seemed to help the sound a little bit.
I have to watch Netflix sometime to judge the bass spectrum app has bad sound quality I can’t adjust it based on that. Or I go to Netflix and it’s super loud lolz o_O
Wish I could optimize it for different inputs my but avr in not sure how Onkyo 818.
I don’t have hardly any carpet squares didn’t try One of those.
It’s not just the sub , if I turn fronts on full range there not getting much bass either, I run them 80hz tho . On spectrum app.. ofc
The Onkyo 818 has Audyssey, you should run that if you haven't already. It will automatically EQ the bass.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The Onkyo 818 has Audyssey, you should run that if you haven't already. It will automatically EQ the bass.
I ran it multiple times it got sub trim to -10 which is supposedly optimal , but my source is a less bass heavy streamer for regular levels I tried boosting it 3-4db. Seems to have improved the bass a lot so far, it may be off if I try Netflix . Which I been watching on the other tv , with sadly no speakers hooked to it, and lines forming on the screen panel.
Spectrum app on roku has compression on video/audio signals 2.0 stereo .

Phone decibels app I used the main speaker all seem set to same volume wow nice!
xt32 sets the bass lfe channel 7-9 db Under my speakers.

Made a specific thread because mic locations make me so confused lol and needed help with xt32.. o_O still don’t understand we’re to place it 8 times.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis