Dolby Vision on Xbox Series X questions

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Hey guys, the world of HDR10 and Dolby Vision is something I’ve been truly trying to comprehend better and doing a bit of reading on. I have a Denon x4300h with a Vizio PQ65-F1 running from an Xbox Series X. I recently re-enabled DV for gaming (through the Alpha Xbox insider program) and noticed that all of my games have crushed blacks and at times extremely bright brights. However when I re-adjust the in game HDR settings to their default things are exponentially better. If I attempt to use the in game menu for HDR/brightness adjustment, like in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey for example, it makes it look overly exposed and far too bright with a loss of detail. My question is, is due because Dolby Vision is expecting the source material to be set at its default parameters? I had read a while ago that adjusting the backlight, brightness and contrast on my tv isn’t recommended for DV as it assumes you are using the factory settings and indeed when watching native DV UHD discs the factory calibrated or calibrated dark mode does indeed look phenomenal, while any of the other modes look either too bright or too dark. By no means am I trying to ask a stupid question but my knowledge of video technicalities and technology isn’t on par with my audio related knowledge and I am in the process of buying a light meter and have read up on Cal-man and the Dolby Vision golden reference files but without the proper equipment to calibrate such formats I have no desire to copy RTings or other forum’s calibration settings as from what I understand that’s on par with me telling you how to calibrate your multi sub setup in your room based on my room, far too many variables to have an optimal result. Anyways, let me know your thoughts guys.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis