Dolby Atmos with a custom 11ch intergated amp

K

Kosta

Junior Audioholic
Good-day everyone,

I am a new to this forum but I have been following the Audioholics' channel for a while now!

I am beginner audiophile and I was lucky enough to find someone who can build me my dream HiFi system. He has been building Hifi systems his whole life so he can make pretty much anything except an integrated amp with an Atmos decoder since there are no such chips available in the market.

At the moment I am trying to find a solution to this matter and I came across the Dolby Access app on the windows store which apparently enables you to listen to Atmos from your PC. If I buy the license and play all my movies/music using a HTPC which will be connected to a custom 11.2 channel integrated amp will Atmos work or is a receiver the only way to go?

I am aware that I can buy a receiver with decent pre-outs such as the Denon-X3600H, use it as a processor and use a custom made amp to power my speakers but that would be the only weak link in my system since I don't want the sound to be affected by low quality pre-outs/dacs which are present in all the mid range receivers. I have the chance to buy an integrated amp exactly the way I want it and I would hate to have to waste 1000 bucks on a receiver.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Thank you in advanced,
Kosta

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Good-day everyone,

I am a new to this forum but I have been following the Audioholics' channel for a while now!

I am beginner audiophile and I was lucky enough to find someone who can build me my dream HiFi system. He has been building Hifi systems his whole life so he can make pretty much anything except an integrated amp with an Atmos decoder since there are no such chips available in the market.

At the moment I am trying to find a solution to this matter and I came across the Dolby Access app on the windows store which apparently enables you to listen to Atmos from your PC. If I buy the license and play all my movies/music using a HTPC which will be connected to a custom 11.2 channel integrated amp will Atmos work or is a receiver the only way to go?

I am aware that I can buy a receiver with decent pre-outs such as the Denon-X3600H, use it as a processor and use a custom made amp to power my speakers but that would be the only weak link in my system since I don't want the sound to be affected by low quality pre-outs/dacs which are present in all the mid range receivers. I have the chance to buy an integrated amp exactly the way I want it and I would hate to have to waste 1000 bucks on a receiver.

Thank you in advanced,
Kosta
The computer would have to have a sound card that outputs 11chs. There is nothing wrong about getting the Denon, which has a good DAC section, the other options get pricey fast. Doubt you would find it a weak link.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Good-day everyone,

Thank you in advanced,
Kosta
Be careful in choosing such integrated amps. Some are basically avrs with the power amp section stripped, plus a few minor changes/enhancements. Some actually measured about the same or even worst on test benches than the pre-outs of some AVRs. They are more expensive mainly due to the economy of scale factor, not necessary because they have better components onboard. Just an example, for Yamaha, go with the models above the A-S801 if you want one that does not share the critical parts such as the preamp/vol control and/or DAC chips with their AVRs. Better still, go with those that don't come with build in DACs because in the lower end, say <$1,500 integrated amps, you will likely end up with DACs equivalent to or lower grade than those found in mid range Denon/Marantz/Yamaha/Onkyo/Pioneer receivers.

K

Kosta

Junior Audioholic
The computer would have to have a sound card that outputs 11chs.
I couldn't find any PC sound cards with more than 7.1 channels. Are you referring to studio audio interfaces? I also forgot to mention that the Hifi technician can build me an 11.2 Dac which can connect to my pc via usb. Will the Dac reproduce the Atmos signal if it has the necessary channels to support it?

There is nothing wrong about getting the Denon, which has a good DAC section, the other options get pricey fast. Doubt you would find it a weak link.
That's the problem, better options get pricey real fast.... Since I am new in the audiophile area I don't have in-depth information about the electronic parts in receivers/amps etc. but after reading about many receivers using really cheap parts (even the expensive ones) I got really worried. For example, in the beginning I was thinking about buying the arcam 390 but noticed that it would not support Hi-res audio formats such as DSD... I managed to find the Dac chip it is using and turns out that it costs less than 10 bucks!!!!! 10 dollar dac chip in a 2.500€ receiver.

Is there any way to know what electronics the denon one uses? Most of the reviews focus on build and overal sound quality so I can't find that kind of info...

Be careful in choosing such integrated amps. Some are basically avrs with the power amp section stripped, plus a few minor changes/enhancements.
The integrated amp I am talking about will be a custom one specifically made for my custom speakers. I will choose the electronic parts for the DAC, Pre-amp and amp (with the help of the technician of course) so I will get the best possible thing for my budget.

This is why I am concerned. I know my system will have great electronics because I will choose them based on what's best for my system, not what's best for me to make a profit. A well made custom 1000€ amp does not even compare to a similarly priced amp in the market. You don't pay for transport, marketing etc etc so you can spend the extra money on better electronics.

I am lacking a lot of knowledge and experience though when it comes to electronics and receivers so I don't know how much a lower grade pre-amp can affect the sound... If we are talking about 1-2% worse sound then I don't mind but if it's 5-10%+ then I have a problem with that...

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I couldn't find any PC sound cards with more than 7.1 channels. Are you referring to studio audio interfaces? I also forgot to mention that the Hifi technician can build me an 11.2 Dac which can connect to my pc via usb. Will the Dac reproduce the Atmos signal if it has the necessary channels to support it?

That's the problem, better options get pricey real fast.... Since I am new in the audiophile area I don't have in-depth information about the electronic parts in receivers/amps etc. but after reading about many receivers using really cheap parts (even the expensive ones) I got really worried. For example, in the beginning I was thinking about buying the arcam 390 but noticed that it would not support Hi-res audio formats such as DSD... I managed to find the Dac chip it is using and turns out that it costs less than 10 bucks!!!!! 10 dollar dac chip in a 2.500€ receiver.

Is there any way to know what electronics the denon one uses? Most of the reviews focus on build and overal sound quality so I can't find that kind of info...

The integrated amp I am talking about will be a custom one specifically made for my custom speakers. I will choose the electronic parts for the DAC, Pre-amp and amp (with the help of the technician of course) so I will get the best possible thing for my budget.

This is why I am concerned. I know my system will have great electronics because I will choose them based on what's best for my system, not what's best for me to make a profit. A well made custom 1000€ amp does not even compare to a similarly priced amp in the market. You don't pay for transport, marketing etc etc so you can spend the extra money on better electronics.

I am lacking a lot of knowledge and experience though when it comes to electronics and receivers so I don't know how much a lower grade pre-amp can affect the sound... If we are talking about 1-2% worse sound then I don't mind but if it's 5-10%+ then I have a problem with that...
If you can custom build one at lower cost that's great and can be a sure way to get high quality parts assuming you have the design/drawings etc. to use. I have built a few things myself. I found it fun to but not cheaper, because I couldn't get volume discount that could be such a huge factor that may or may not offset the marketing cost and manufacturers, distributor/dealer profits.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis