Dolby Atmos speaker advise please

• Thread starter Airedale’s forever
  • Start date
A

Airedale’s forever

Audiophyte
I’m a old fart 71 years young and purchased the Denon 110 year anniversary AVR/AVC 110.
I now have a 7.2 system and wanted to upgrade to Dolby Atmos, I want to use 4 in ceiling speaker to make my system a 7.2.4
I need in ceiling speaker advise ( but here’s the deal, I have to purchase the speakers at Best Buy for free installation). I’d like at least a 6” speaker, but Best Buy has many……
Ideas and opinions welcome!

My first post on the form, thanks
Robert
PS, I’d like to stay under say $350.00 for each speaker…….
thanks

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Welcome to Audioholics. Be a little patient and one of the more experienced users will happily give you advice on Atmos selections at Best

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Just came across this thread.

Honestly, I understand wanting the free installation, but I'd never buy them from Best Buy. You're better off getting a much better set of speakers, and having someone else install them. And for ~150$/speaker, I'd check out these:

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I’m a old fart 71 years young and purchased the Denon 110 year anniversary AVR/AVC 110.
I now have a 7.2 system and wanted to upgrade to Dolby Atmos, I want to use 4 in ceiling speaker to make my system a 7.2.4
I need in ceiling speaker advise ( but here’s the deal, I have to purchase the speakers at Best Buy for free installation). I’d like at least a 6” speaker, but Best Buy has many……

Robert
thanks
One is never too old to try something new. Glad to hear you are going for Atmos. There is a noticeable difference over 7.2 but not as much as some folks advise. I have it on one of my HT systems, and with the right movie, it makes a difference. On music, TV Sports, etc., not so much.

Anyway, I have Polks and they work great for the last 4 years. You don't need to buy their most expensive brand to get decent result. Something like Polks RC80i or maybe Polk VT-60 if you are in a smaller space. (Both links are Best Buy US)

I hope this is helpful.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I too would like to welcome you to the forum. I don’t think 71 is old either. I use a 7.2.4 system. Like others have mentioned it depends on the atmos source as to how good it sounds.

Some of the streamed TV movies list themselves as Atmos but the ceiling speakers are not in constant use by a wide margin. Some of those Atmos movies just use “fixed” positions rather than “moving objects.” I often find streamed atmos soundtracks sound better using the upmixers offered by Dolby surround or Auro 3d. Auromatic is very pleasing to me for listening to music.

Your Denon AVR-A110 was an excellent choice and will allow you to cycle between listening modes real time. I prefer to use Crutchfield for my purchases. They offer 60 day returns and most importantly lifetime tech support on purchases.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic

Robert
thanks
Hi,

Did you ever make a decision?

What are your room dimensions and your seating location (LxWxH)? A drawing helps a lot. And what are the distances of your speakers in the bed layer (ear level) to your listening positions?

Very best,

A

Airedale’s forever

Audiophyte
Thanks all,
I purchased 4 Martin Logan Helios 12 for the overhead Speakers.
I really can’t tell how good the speakers are, they seem to just add ambience….. which is about what I expected, no regrets so far

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis