Dolby Atmos over Airplay Coming Soon!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Coming along with the Home app and Apple TV updates will be the ability to Airplay Dolby Atmos. This will be a welcome update for some who no longer want to fire up an Apple TV 4K and a television to get Dolby Atmos from Apple Music on their iPhone/iPad to their AVP/AVR provided it is a supported third party device. We’ll see.
IMG_4762.jpeg

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This the reason they're losing the ability for multi-room options with the Wiims?

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
This the reason they're losing the ability for multi-room options with the Wiims?
I've been reading about Airplay Cast issue with Wiim. Most people on other forums seem to be blaming Wiim. Who's been awfully hush-hush. A lot of threads on the subject have been pulled from their forum. Both very strange. I've seen some Wiim responses posted where Wiim is saying there's "compatibility issues with future Airplay devices."

I'm not convinced Apple didn't throw them a curve ball. Curious to what really happened behind closed doors.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
So, running iOS 18 Beta and apparently none of my receivers are "compatible third party audio equipment" and I cannot get Dolby Atmos to them over Airplay. :confused: I also cannot Airplay Dolby Atmos to my Mac mini M1 which is currently in macOS Sequoia Beta 15. Though, as mentioned in another thread, Dolby Atmos Passthrough/Bitstream now works in the Mac when using Apple Music.

I can however Airplay Dolby Atmos from my iPhone to the Apple TV 4K. So, if anybody wants to listen to Apple Music's Dolby Atmos offerings on their Apple TV 4K without firing the television up, they can Airplay them to an Apple TV 4K and use the iPhone to make their selections. If using HDMI-CEC, the Apple TV 4K will power ON a connected AVP/AVR and television set when playback starts.

I could not get Dolby Atmos from Tidal over Airplay to the Apple TV 4K. But, the Apple TV 4K Tidal app does support Dolby Atmos for those that don't mind using the television set when listening to music.

tginther

tginther

Audiophyte
I have recently upgraded to iOS18, tvOS 18.0, Sequoia v15.0 for reference.

Through my Great Room Apple TV 4K I am currently playing a Dolby Atmos stream using the Apple Music app on the Apple TV, and I choose the local Denon this Apple TV 4K is connected to as well as the Apple TV 4K in my home theater room for sound output.

This is playing the Atmos stream locally on the Great Room Denon, and using AirPlay 2 to stream to the Home Theater Apple TV 4K, connected to another Denon. Both Denon receivers are showing Dolby Atmos and are in perfect synch. Playing a Dolby Atmos stream in 2 rooms simultaneously sounds wonderful!

These are the only 2 Apple TV 4Ks connected to an Atmos-capable receivers. If I add any other Airplay 2 device in my house, the Denons both then revert to a DD Surround signal, so the signal is downgraded when an Airplay 2 device is added that can't support Dolby Atmos.

I was pleasantly surprised to find this working, as I just upgraded all my Apple devices 2 days ago. I will also be testing the Apple Music app on one of my Macs and will stream to the same 2 ATVs to see if that works also. I'll report back with the results.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis