Dolby Atmos In Ceiling Speakers for a Vaulted Ceiling

jbonn500

jbonn500

Audiophyte
I'm upgrading my entire system and building a new theater room. Right now, the design includes a vaulted ceiling that's about 10.5 feet max height with a gentle angle down to 8 feet where it hits the wall. My question is, what's the best option for atmos speakers in a 5.1.4 configuration? So far my research points to getting pendant speakers, which would be fine but I'm not a huge fan of the look.

The other option I'm curious about is using in ceiling speakers that have adjustable tweeters, such as the Polk RC80i. Does anyone have experience with that kind of setup? Would I be able to angle the tweeters enough to sort of mimic the speakers being on a flat plane?

Thanks!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Imo aimable tweeters aren’t really that useful. I would look for something with an angled baffle that you can rotate the whole speaker towards the LP. The rsl c34e’s fit the bill and are very good speakers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Angled on-wall? Like the SVS Prime Elevation or Emotiva A1? They don't need to be in-ceiling.

Agree that a speaker that can aim the whole thing would be more desirable than one that just angles the tweeter. Those tweeter angling ones were a pre-atmos design.

DonaldBurns

DonaldBurns

Audiophyte
I love Dolby Atmos, but I think they sound better on headphones than on a big acoustic.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I love Dolby Atmos, but I think they sound better on headphones than on a big acoustic.
I disagree. Music sounds better on good headphones, but movies definitely sound better in a large room with a proper setup.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis