Dolby Atmos for streaming services?

S

SPLchamp

Audiophyte
I am new to the site, and this is my first post on here. So thanks in advance for any and all feedback, My apologies if this is not the right area to post this topic.

I would like to conceptualize a 7.1.4 setup. However, I am on a budget. It's not crazy-restrictive, but it's not a free-for-all. I don't see myself spending $1,100 on a receiver. However, for about $500, I have found a few 9.2-channel receivers which (when used with an external 2-channel amplifier) will give me the 11 channels (plus sub) that I need. The Onkyo TX-RZ730 and Pioneer VSX-LX503 are a couple examples.

I an not a big fan of discs. I don't buy/rent blu rays. Instead, I stream most of my content. I have access to Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube TV. Do any of these services stream in a format that would allow me to make use of a 7.1.4 Atmos setup?

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
I am new to the site, and this is my first post on here. So thanks in advance for any and all feedback, My apologies if this is not the right area to post this topic.

I would like to conceptualize a 7.1.4 setup. However, I am on a budget. It's not crazy-restrictive, but it's not a free-for-all. I don't see myself spending $1,100 on a receiver. However, for about $500, I have found a few 9.2-channel receivers which (when used with an external 2-channel amplifier) will give me the 11 channels (plus sub) that I need. The Onkyo TX-RZ730 and Pioneer VSX-LX503 are a couple examples.

I an not a big fan of discs. I don't buy/rent blu rays. Instead, I stream most of my content. I have access to Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube TV. Do any of these services stream in a format that would allow me to make use of a 7.1.4 Atmos setup?
Netflix is the only service that has some content labeled Atmos. It is not quite the lossless version on disc but it is the highest quality streaming audio that implements your height channels.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
The receiver needed with that may channels is hard to find for 500. I would suggest Marantz sr6013

P

ParisB

Audioholic
The Nvidia Shield Pro (2019) has full Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision support with Netflix (provided the particular show is encoded as such). Not familiar with Hulu and the others as much, but Netflix is easy because they're labeled. Amazon just says "UHD" but some of their shows are just 4K resolution but SDR or HDR10 or Dolby Vision and it seems like you have to click in to find out.

P.s. Atmos from streaming devices is done via DD+ which is lossy but better than regular Dolby Digital. Netflix also allows up to 650kbps for audio which is higher than the competition.

B

bo55554r

Enthusiast
The Nvidia Shield Pro (2019) has full Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision support with Netflix (provided the particular show is encoded as such). Not familiar with Hulu and the others as much, but Netflix is easy because they're labeled. Amazon just says "UHD" but some of their shows are just 4K resolution but SDR or HDR10 or Dolby Vision and it seems like you have to click in to find out.

P.s. Atmos from streaming devices is done via DD+ which is lossy but better than regular Dolby Digital. Netflix also allows up to 650kbps for audio which is higher than the competition.
Nvidia Shield Pro why not HDR10 +
Nvidia Shield Pro can play 4:2:2 12 bit rec 2020 or 709 ?
Nvidia Shield Pro can play 4:4:4 8 bit rec 2020 or 709 ?

E

Erod

Audioholic
Disney+ is Atmos across the board for new content, as well as every Star Wars movie now.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I know Apple TV 4K can stream both Netflix and Amazon Prime shows that are indicated as Atmos titles. It also can stream Disney + Atmos titles.

And I know my Firestick 4K only will stream Amazon Prime in Atmos but can’t do Netflix in Atmos. The firestick also can’t stream Disney+ Atmos titles.

The remote on the Apple TV is a PITA to get used to but I like it now after about a year. :)

Edited: I added Disney+ information above.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Disney+ is Atmos across the board for new content, as well as every Star Wars movie now.
I suppose that depends on the app. I signed up thru Amazon Prime and the content on the Star Wars films was 2.0.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

If most of your movie content will be via streaming, you might want to rethink your system purchase especially if on a budget.

Explore this for yourself, but from my experience you will not find much 7.1 content from the main streaming services, Netlfix, Amazon, etc. the same will apply to Atmos encoded movies as well...you won't find much.

I assume 7.1 Atmos streaming movie titles will grow, but right now most of the titles out there are available on blu ray.

S

SPLchamp

Audiophyte
If most of your movie content will be via streaming, you might want to rethink your system purchase especially if on a budget.

Explore this for yourself, but from my experience you will not find much 7.1 content from the main streaming services, Netlfix, Amazon, etc. the same will apply to Atmos encoded movies as well...you won't find much.

I assume 7.1 Atmos streaming movie titles will grow, but right now most of the titles out there are available on blu ray.
I agree and I'm willing to accept that for the time being. But I do expect that content will grow. And I feel like it would be a waste to build a 5.1 system now... only to have to tear open walls and run more wire, and buy another receiver to upgrade in a year and a half. I might as well do it now

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I agree and I'm willing to accept that for the time being. But I do expect that content will grow. And I feel like it would be a waste to build a 5.1 system now... only to have to tear open walls and run more wire, and buy another receiver to upgrade in a year and a half. I might as well do it now
If you're in a pre-drywall stage...by all means prewire for the max...it's just wire. I did.

Just saying...the vast majority of streaming films will likely be 5.1 for a long time. Netflix is supposed to have 7.1 content, but generally speaking this will be something you'll have to spend considerable time "looking for" I believe.

JMHO...I think the film production houses probably realize...a consumer willing to invest in a blu ray library for 7.1 (atmos incl) content is more likely to have adequate HT space, equipment, etc. Whereas, a consumer that prefers to stream, 5.1 is probably the standard, they might not go the extra mile for 7.1 surround space or equipment.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
May as well wire for the ideal speaker setup even if streaming continues more on the 5.1 side with some metadata (from the reports I've seen the DD+ with the Atmos metadata isn't quite the same as on disc). You can always use an upmixer....or rent a disc even if you want superior picture and sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Mine is on a Roku device.
Seems my standard Fire Stick won't but a Fire Stick 4k will get the multich from Disney. No matter, am cutting Disney off, too little content....

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
The receiver needed with that may channels is hard to find for 500. I would suggest Marantz sr6013
I second the 6013 and just recently put some Elevations as heights - its unreal!
The John Wick scene with that heavy rain coming down, I was ready to grab my umbrella.

F

felipe

Audioholic

Hi SPLchamp. Welcome to the forum. Since you stream most of your content, and don’t buy/rent blu-rays, have you heard of Vudu? Most of thier content is offered in Dolby Atmos ( not lossless of course, its the DD+ lossy version ). Of the few movies I’ve streamed, the Atmos sounded pretty good thru my system ;)....food for thought.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
I know Apple TV 4K can stream both Netflix and Amazon Prime shows that are indicated as Atmos titles. It also can stream Disney + Atmos titles.

And I know my Firestick 4K only will stream Amazon Prime in Atmos but can’t do Netflix in Atmos. The firestick also can’t stream Disney+ Atmos titles.

The remote on the Apple TV is a PITA to get used to but I like it now after about a year. :)

Edited: I added Disney+ information above.

My Apple remote stopped closing the system down - I am forced to use the Harmony Elite all the time now~

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis