Does anyone know what is the Sound Output of Apple OG Homepod ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

augustya

Junior Audioholic
Hi Guys,

I am desperately looking for this information. If anyone has ever come across this information anywhere on the Internet or have done your own analysis please share it with me. (Apple has not revealed this info) I am looking out for what is the total sound output in RMS that the Apple Older Generation Original, Bigger Homepod produces ?

If anyone can please share this info if he has ever come across it, please share it with me.

Thanks in Advance !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are you asking what the voltage output rating of the line out is? Or the power of its "amp" in watts?

A

augustya

Junior Audioholic
Are you asking what the voltage output rating of the line out is? Or the power of its "amp" in watts?
I am asking I want to know the Power of its AMP like the Sound Output ? I know watts is not the right way to measure it.

So I am looking for the Value in RMS.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am asking I want to know the Power of its AMP like the Sound Output ? I know watts is not the right way to measure it.

It's a State Secret!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Watts might be, but it's not particularly sound output. The speaker may have sound output, but that's not expressed in watts (well, there's an acoustical watt but doubt that's what you're looking for) but rather sound pressure level (spl). What are you trying to determine or do particularly, are you trying to use a different speaker or ?

A

augustya

Junior Audioholic
Watts might be, but it's not particularly sound output. The speaker may have sound output, but that's not expressed in watts (well, there's an acoustical watt but doubt that's what you're looking for) but rather sound pressure level (spl). What are you trying to determine or do particularly, are you trying to use a different speaker or ?
I have the JBL Authentics L8 Speakers (2014 Release) and it's soundput is 120 WATTS RMS as stated on the JBL Website, so I wanted to know when compared to the Apple OG Homepod. Which also has the same woofer as the JBL L8 which is 4" Inches does the Homepod also has the same Output which is 120 WATTS RMS

A

augustya

Junior Audioholic
It's a State Secret!
Yes, but just like Audio enthusiast and Audiophile have dissected a lot of BOSE Speakers when even they do not reveal these specifications. I was hoping there was some Enlightened one like "Buddha" who has obliged the Community by dissecting and doing this research and finding this information in his Makeshift Lab ? I am sure there a lot of guys on YouTube and here who like to get i to the skin of every speaker, especially renowned and reputed Brands ! isn't it ?

So how is it that nobody so far taken interest in dissecting the Apple OG Homepod when it has been more than 4 Years that they were released. I know they are Apple Haters out there, but they don't sound that bad !!

So anyone ?

A

augustya

Junior Audioholic
Oh Ok, Now I see why the JBL L8 Sound a little more BASS Heavy a lot more actually then the Homepods because the JBL L8 has two 4 Inch Woofer where as the the Homepod only has One 4" Woofer that explains the difference, so if I have two Apple OG Homepods which will add another 4" Woofer then will it sound the same as the JBL L8 ? Just very Curious to find this info ? Can anyone help me crack this Mind Boggling Puzzle in my mInd ? I love both of them, both of then sound just incredible to me, cant live without them ?

JBL-Authentics-L8.jpg

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Here, we tend to be more focused on speakers with a different use case than the Apple Homepod so it's unlikely anyone here has tried to measure the output of it.

I will say the following, though: not all 4" woofers are the same, nor will the amplifiers behind them have the same output, so it's rather impossible to say what the Homepod is putting out just because the JBL has two 4" woofers and 120w RMS of amplification.

Based on the following reviews of both products it would seem that it would be quite unlikely that you could get the same bass response by simply adding another homepod.

https://www.rtings.com/speaker/reviews/apple/homepod

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/jbl-authentics-l8-wireless-speaker

The homepod seems to run out of oomph at around 60 Hz, while the JBL does pretty good down to 45 Hz.

A

augustya

Junior Audioholic
Here, we tend to be more focused on speakers with a different use case than the Apple Homepod so it's unlikely anyone here has tried to measure the output of it.

I will say the following, though: not all 4" woofers are the same, nor will the amplifiers behind them have the same output, so it's rather impossible to say what the Homepod is putting out just because the JBL has two 4" woofers and 120w RMS of amplification.

Based on the following reviews of both products it would seem that it would be quite unlikely that you could get the same bass response by simply adding another homepod.

The homepod seems to run out of oomph at around 60 Hz, while the JBL does pretty good down to 45 Hz.
Hey ! Thanks for the Info. But I am still a little Novice at reading and interpreting this Frequency Response Graphs. So what should I be looking at which would indicate Homepod Hits very Low Bass or the JBL goes deeper than that ?

Can you Mark that area in this diagram if possible ? Thanks !

I have combined two images. The Left if Frequency Response for the HOepod and the right is for the JBL L8

Homepod-JBL L8 Combined Image.png

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
But that's what I and saying since when :) where is 60Hz and where is 45Hz ? I cannot find it in the diagram ? Can someone help me locate it ? :)
The frequency, in Hz, is listed across the bottom of the chart. It starts at 20Hz on the far left, and goes up to 20kHz on the far right. Each new vertical line, on the left, represents a jump of 10Hz. So, 20Hz, 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, and 100Hz are the first 8 vertical lines. So, where you see the data dropping down is at 45Hz for JBL and about 60Hz for the Apple product. The slope of frequency response is not linear, but logarithmic, so after 100Hz, things start going up quickly. New intervals are labeled across the bottom.

As it is, you can't possibly judge two different speaker designs based solely on the speaker size used, or the quantity used, but that will give you a very rough idea. Be aware that the standard in-wall speaker I use in my home have a 3-way 8" design, so the woofer is MUCH larger than what is in these little units. You will get reasonable sound from them, but they are pretty small overall and won't have nearly the bass response of larger speakers on the market.

It really depends on what you are trying to get out of these speakers, and knowing that a proper bookshelf or tower could give you much better overall sound, but not the same portability.

A

augustya

Junior Audioholic

I am getting a growing feedback here and on other forums also when I show this Frequency Diagram to them, they are saying whoever gave you this links or reference to these links did not have even an slightest idea what kind of Parameters are required to Judge a Lower Frequency Response of a speaker. So this is not correct data that you referred me to with these links.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am getting a growing feedback here and on other forums also when I show this Frequency Diagram to them, they are saying whoever gave you this links or reference to these links did not have even an slightest idea what kind of Parameters are required to Judge a Lower Frequency Response of a speaker. So this is not correct data that you referred me to with these links.
Nothing wrong with the graphs. They're typical of speaker measurements....try the geeky article. Speakers have a rating in watts for continuous and/or peak power but this is more an indication of how much power the speaker can take before failure than anything particularly useful. So what did the folks in the other groups/fora say about what parameters relating to lower frequency response?

A

augustya

Junior Audioholic
Nothing wrong with the graphs. They're typical of speaker measurements....try the geeky article. Speakers have a rating in watts for continuous and/or peak power but this is more an indication of how much power the speaker can take before failure than anything particularly useful. So what did the folks in the other groups/fora say about what parameters relating to lower frequency response?
This is some of the feedback I got from others when I showed them the Graph which @NINaudio refered me to, which was wrong. I dont know how and why he tried to mislead me. When he himself did not know what the correct information was.

"The first graph shows "relative" SPL (loudness) to an unspecified reference level. Hence, the vertical scale of: -20, to 0 to +20 dB. This graph shows a speaker with significant lack of bass below about 120 Hz. The graph is so uneven, I suspect it may have been made using "in-room" measurements and the room is dramaticly affecting the results.

The second graph shows "absolute" SPL. Hence the vertical scale of 60 to 100 dB. A much more common and IMHO useful graph. It may have been made anechoically to avoid displaying the in-room effects."

"Can't really compare the two graphs because they don't use the same measurements. The bottom graph is an SPL graph that seems to have smoothing applied. It provides some indication of how much usable output there is at the low end. In this case, I see usable output to 45hz or so.

The top chart is a response graph. that shows a +/- frequency variation, without any indication of how usable the low end response is at loud volumes."

"The first graph appears to be a measurement in the near-field (1 meter?) normalized to a flat reference with around 1/12 octave smoothing applied. You can't make any assumptions about the bass from this type of measurement. The second looks to be an in-room measurement at the listening position or averaged over multiple positions with more smoothing applied than the first. You really can't compare the two."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis