Does anyone have experience with a Seymour ALR Visionaire screen?

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
I am looking for the best screen for the money. My budget is less than $3000. My room can be light controlled. I am just curious about them because of the reviews I’ve seen.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I am looking for the best screen for the money. My budget is less than $3000. My room can be light controlled. I am just curious about them because of the reviews I’ve seen.
What size are you looking for?

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
Undecided. Currently have a 110” SI screen but redoing the theater wall so I no longer will have in-walls. The wall is 134” wide and 8’ ceiling. It is a 16:9 but I might go with a 2:40.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Undecided. Currently have a 110” SI screen but redoing the theater wall so I no longer will have in-walls. The wall is 134” wide and 8’ ceiling. It is a 16:9 but I might go with a 2:40.
how far is your projector?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
based on 14'7, you'd want to stick around 120" screen. With your dimensions you should be able to easily fit a Seymour 2.40 in your area. I would give the Visionaire Silver 1.3 gain a go. Looks and sounds like a really nice screen based on specs.

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
I’m going to be upgrading that sometime soon as well. It will be a long throw projector and probably an Epson 4010.

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
I figured if I buy a great screen that I won’t have buyer’s remorse and have to buy another one.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I figured if I buy a great screen that I won’t have buyer’s remorse and have to buy another one.
Yeah, once you have a nice screen it will be the last thing you'll ever have to upgrade. If ever.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There is no chance you should ever buy a ALR screen if you actually have a properly light controlled theater space. Stewart, Dalite, and Draper will all tell you to get a white screen instead of a ALR screen in a theater. This is because a properly treated (DARK!) room will do the ALR control for you. If you say you don't have a problem with ambient light, then spending more on a band aid, that you don't need, isn't going to make the image better.

ALR screens tend to introduce both hotspotting, sparking, and image uniformity issues. These are things which can be overlooked if you are in a bad room with a lot of ambient light. In a sports bar. At the boardroom table with big windows off to the side. But, in a blackened home theater, you are better off (by a mile) spending $1,000 on a screen, then dumping $1,000 in dark paint and dark carpet, then spending an extra $1,000 on the Epson 5050, or going to a JVC projector which can deliver a far more stunning image overall than the Epson 4010 can deliver.

ALR screens are a patch to a bad room. The cure in not a $3,000 ALR screen, it is $20 in paint and some good shades.

If you absolutely can't control ambient light, then an ALR screen is still going to be a tough call because it will degrade image quality. Then, after dropping so much money, people love to justify how 'great' the image is, when they really are just ignoring the actual issues. I've literally had people tell me that while they do have sparking, hotspots, and image uniformity issues, it's all worth it... That's a very personal decision, but it's important to know that these are real issues, and reviews of the screen certainly indicate some of these same issues.

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
Thank you for your response. I’m going off of a sound and vision review otherwise I wouldn’t have thought about this screen.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis