Do you need to spike mains if you have a subwoofer?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Sheep said:
Well, why don't you ask clint yourself?
sheep

You brought him up ;) While you are at it, tell him to measure the sub both ways as was done in that speaker break in experiment :D Then we'll see if there is a measured difference and its magnitude. It may be audible, but I seriously doubt it :p

snickelfritz

snickelfritz

Junior Audioholic
If the enclosure is completely inert, spikes will make no difference in the sound, especially at low frequencies.
Zero. Zip. Nada.
Audible changes with spikes in real-world enclosures are due to modifications of panel resonances and resulting transmission to the floor substrate.

Rigid metal spikes do not damp anything, and may actually transmit resonances of higher amplitude and narrower bandwidth than the enclosure would without them.
Probably the ideal mounting system would be a massive, inert plinth with adjustable spikes, with a resilient layer such as Blutack between the speaker and plinth.

BTW, one potentially positive (albeit minor) audio aspect of spikes is the ability to adjust the plumb/level of the speaker.
This should theoretically produce more symmetrical polar dispersion patterns, resulting in better sound-stage focus.
(most speakers "lobe" audibly at mid-high frequencies in the vertical axis, so getting the vertical pattern perfectly vertical, makes sense.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

snickelfritz said:
BTW, one potentially positive (albeit minor) audio aspect of spikes is the ability to adjust the plumb/level of the speaker.
This should theoretically produce more symmetrical polar dispersion patterns, resulting in better sound-stage focus.
(most speakers "lobe" audibly at mid-high frequencies in the vertical axis, so getting the vertical pattern perfectly vertical, makes sense.

If you are counting on this ;) better have a level that is a precision type, one that will register a few thousandth shift :D

But, I would not worry about it in a sub. I don't recall a polar measurement chart by anyone.

9f9c7z

Banned
Spikes and pets

I was moving the towers with their spiked feet, 90lbs each. Dog was running around being the usual pest that he is. Well, it happened, accidentally set a tower down on his tail. Nailed him to the floor. He was not happy, tried to bite me. Couldn’t go back and pick up the spkr either, dog was too excited, yelping, growling, barking, trying to bite me. He would run in one direction and smack into the spkr cabinet, reverse directions and hit the other side, but he wasn’t going anywhere. Then it dawned on me, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Eventually dog settled down and became accustom to his new body art/piercing. Now he just sits there like Victor, "listing for his masters voice." Come feeding time I just kick a bowl of kibbles over to him, he’s always happy to get it. We don’t have to worry about where the dog is or what he is doing. No more chewed up furniture, either. Now, when we go on vacation, we don’t have to pay kennel fees, dog stays right there, next to that spkr. I’m thinking about moving the other tower closer, because now woman wants a cat.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Priceless

9f9c7z said:
I was moving the towers with their spiked feet, 90lbs each. Dog was running around being the usual pest that he is. Well, it happened, accidentally set a tower down on his tail. Nailed him to the floor. He was not happy, tried to bite me. Couldn’t go back and pick up the spkr either, dog was too excited, yelping, growling, barking, trying to bite me. He would run in one direction and smack into the spkr cabinet, reverse directions and hit the other side, but he wasn’t going anywhere. Then it dawned on me, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Eventually dog settled down and became accustom to his new body art/piercing. Now he just sits there like Victor, "listing for his masters voice." Come feeding time I just kick a bowl of kibbles over to him, he’s always happy to get it. We don’t have to worry about where the dog is or what he is doing. No more chewed up furniture, either. Now, when we go on vacation, we don’t have to pay kennel fees, dog stays right there, next to that spkr. I’m thinking about moving the other tower closer, because now woman wants a cat.

I am still rolling and having fits of laughter. :D :D :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis