Do we need the horsepower?

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
Check out this article and scroll down about 60% to read an interesting take on modern cars and horsepower- http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/080909&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1.

While I cannot speak to the accuracy of everything, I did find it interesting some of the statistics quoted and the relationship of horsepower to gasoline usage. Is it really necessary for a Ford Taurus to go from 0-60 in 6.5 seconds?? Even more amazing- that's the same quoted speed as a 1968 corvette!! :eek::eek:

I personally love a fast/sporty car, but does anybody actually ever use all 480 horses in the Nissan GTR? Is it really necessary to go 0-60 in 3.8 seconds? (which I guess begs the question, is it really necessary to spend thousands of dollars on home theater :D, but I digress). I guess my point is- would you sacrifice horsepower for gas savings and how much would it have to be.

If any car enthuisiasts/experts can weigh in on the accuracy of this I'd appreciate it as well.

unreal.freak

unreal.freak

Senior Audioholic
Electric motors would be more enviornmental friendly and they are superior in all aspects of HP and torque.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Batteries and energy storage are what's letting down the electric motors.

I drive civics. My current civic has about 70BHP. My old Si with the VTEC swap had about 130BHP. I was totally content with the Si, but if I had my choice (with in reason) I'd go for an RSX Type S. Still good on gas, quick and sporty. I say keep the HP, and drop the displacement.

SheepStar

no. 5

no. 5

Is it really necessary for a Ford Taurus to go from 0-60 in 6.5 seconds??
That's a negatory.

I love cars and driving, but come on, not every car on the road needs to be that fast. Save the power for the enthusiasts, give the people a choice.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
That's a negatory.

I love cars and driving, but come on, not every car on the road needs to be that fast. Save the power for the enthusiasts, give the people a choice.
The choice lies in the gas pedal.

SheepStar

Haoleb

Haoleb

It seems to me for most people driving is all about how can I get from point a to b the most efficiently. They would be happy with a road perfectly straight for miles upon miles going the same speed with cars all around you..

Then there are people like me who actually enjoy the drive more than the destination itself. Fortunately for me there is at least one good road that is a blast to drive on... if your not stuck behind the person described above..

Yes I need the power. When I'm at a stoplight and it turns green usually i'll punch it if i am the first person. I like to feel the acceleration and to be in front of everybody else.

Some people would probably think I drive dangerously and get road rage. The first part no, The second part yes for sure. Its very hard not to get road rage when your stuck follwing people for a 2 hour drive that go slow and do not have the decency to pull over. For the love of god, Could I please drive just for once without always having to follow someone else?!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
It seems to me for most people driving is all about how can I get from point a to b the most efficiently. They would be happy with a road perfectly straight for miles upon miles going the same speed with cars all around you..

Then there are people like me who actually enjoy the drive more than the destination itself. Fortunately for me there is at least one good road that is a blast to drive on... if your not stuck behind the person described above..

Yes I need the power. When I'm at a stoplight and it turns green usually i'll punch it if i am the first person. I like to feel the acceleration and to be in front of everybody else.

Some people would probably think I drive dangerously and get road rage. The first part no, The second part yes for sure. Its very hard not to get road rage when your stuck follwing people for a 2 hour drive that go slow and do not have the decency to pull over. For the love of god, Could I please drive just for once without always having to follow someone else?!
If you want to drive on an empty road and go fast, you need to go out in the early morning.

What do you drive by the way?

SheepStar

Haoleb

Haoleb

If you want to drive on an empty road and go fast, you need to go out in the early morning.

What do you drive by the way?

SheepStar
Its not even driving fast. Unless you consider 5-10 over the limit fast. Its not driving behind people who use their brakes on the highway when its straight as an arrow, or people who give it the beans then let off, so that i have to slow down then they give it the beans again over and over or people who dont even go the speed limit yet dont pull over to let you pass :mad:

I have a 2000 tundra

Haoleb

Haoleb

6:40 in...

Thats basically how I feel everytime I drive in traffic :D

You have to understand theres only really two or three roads that really go anywhere on the entire island... Very hard to get away from the traffic!

Last edited by a moderator:
no. 5

no. 5

Its not even driving fast. Unless you consider 5-10 over the limit fast. Its not driving behind people who use their brakes on the highway when its straight as an arrow, or people who give it the beans then let off, so that i have to slow down then they give it the beans again over and over or people who dont even go the speed limit yet dont pull over to let you pass :mad:
I hear you. You could add people that drive exactly the speed limit in the fast lane, or my personal least favorite, people that are afraid of corners; I once saw the break lights of a Porsche Cayenne come on for a corner that can be taken at speed in a minivan.

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
well Haoleb,

you should try southern California for a week or so. :eek:

How long does it take to drive around your entire island? 1 hour? 2?

Haoleb

Haoleb

depending on which route you take but if you take the road closest to the ocean without stopping I'd say about 4.5- 5 hours

annunaki

annunaki

The biggest problem has not been the horsepower but the increasing weight of the vehicles. Vehicles have been getting heavier over time. I cannot remember where I read the article on it about average weights of vehicles.

Keeping the weight down while leaving horsepower alone increases performance while increasing fuel economy.

Using materials like carbon fiber and aluminum in construction of vehicles can bring down the weight of a vehicle immensely. The other benefit is that during a crash, there is less mass therefore reducing some of the impact on the other vehicle. (Obviously speed will always be a factor there.)

Lighter vehicles can also mean shorter braking distances reducing crashes in the first place.

If vehicle manufacturers switched to carbon/aluminum construction, we could see a ton of fuel savings. Lighter vehicles also mean longer runs with full electric motor systems.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Check out this article and scroll down about 60% to read an interesting take on modern cars and horsepower- http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/080909&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1.

While I cannot speak to the accuracy of everything, I did find it interesting some of the statistics quoted and the relationship of horsepower to gasoline usage. Is it really necessary for a Ford Taurus to go from 0-60 in 6.5 seconds?? Even more amazing- that's the same quoted speed as a 1968 corvette!! :eek::eek:

I personally love a fast/sporty car, but does anybody actually ever use all 480 horses in the Nissan GTR? Is it really necessary to go 0-60 in 3.8 seconds? (which I guess begs the question, is it really necessary to spend thousands of dollars on home theater :D, but I digress). I guess my point is- would you sacrifice horsepower for gas savings and how much would it have to be.

If any car enthuisiasts/experts can weigh in on the accuracy of this I'd appreciate it as well.

Yep, we are in a hurry to go nowhere:D
No one to blame but us as we keep buying those cars. I try to be frugal on fuel usage yet comfortable.;)
Interestingly, some of those matchbox cars, or perhaps sardine can cars, don't do as well as some others. Curious.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
I am a Car Nut

Yes horsepower and cars is why I don't have my dream $20K HT system.

My two cars are both 6-speeds. One gets 30-31 on the highway and goes 0-60 in 5.9 seconds (maximum professional test) and has Borla exhaust and K&Nair filter with 3.0 liter engine.

The other 6-speed only gets about 20 mpg on the highway :rolleyes: goes 0-60 in 5.6 seconds (maximum professional test) with Indvidia exhaust (105 or so dBs ) and a Rick's Voodoo short shifter and only has a 2.2 liter engine but it redlines at 8,000 rpm and wants to go there often

My wife also has a car and my son has a car.

My first car out of college was a new 1970 4-4-2 with a 455 cu in engine with 365 horsepower and a 4 speed.it got about 12 mpg on the highway and 7 mpg in town,but would burn rubber in the first three gears. However gas was only 33 cents a gallon.

However, I am intrigued by Honda's new re-Insight 4 door sedan hybrid coming out as a 2009 in April.

Oh Yeah, my other nickname is "car nut".

No horsepower isn't needed , but it sure is fun kind of like a high performance HT SYSTEM

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The other 6-speed only gets about 20 mpg on the highway goes 0-60 in 5.6 seconds (maximum professional test) with Indvidia exhaust (105 or so dBs ) and a Rick's Voodoo short shifter and only has a 2.2 liter engine but it redlines at 8,000 rpm and wants to go there often
Ah, you have an S2000. :cool: Now you need an Intake for it.

SheepStar

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
The biggest problem has not been the horsepower but the increasing weight of the vehicles. Vehicles have been getting heavier over time. I cannot remember where I read the article on it about average weights of vehicles.

Keeping the weight down while leaving horsepower alone increases performance while increasing fuel economy....
Yea, mass is a really big issue. One of the UK car shows here did a review of the VW Golf R32 when it first appeared, and noted it was around twice the weight of the original Golf.

One of the reasons for the ever increasing weight (apart from all those extras like aircon) is crash protection. Basically, to meet requirements for each new generation of legislation, designers are adding more mass to the cars.

I recall reading an interview with one of the Enzo designers, who noted they had a target weight for the car (which they just beat) but that they wouldn't be able to do it again, as by the time the car was released the new legislation in force would mean they'd need to add more protection.

Of course, we could all have family cars made from alu, titanium and carbon, but then I expect the price would be somewhat higher (as would the repair costs)!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis