Do two subs rated for medium room size combine to be rated for large room

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@Danzilla31, Just got my official invoice from Outlaw! ;) No tracking number yet, but they're only shipping from Oregon to Sonoma County. I should have them next week! *fingers crossed

Now about that AVR... the tech said maybe two more weeks for the part to come in. any delays, and my x-13's will have a fine patina of dust before I even get to hook them up! :(
They ship from Oregon? Hmmm, makes me wonder who makes them....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
They ship from Oregon? Hmmm, makes me wonder who makes them....
I think it’s Claridy Audio, if I recall correctly from other conversations here. But they’re in Torrance CA... Could just be a fulfillment center up there?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think it’s Claridy Audio, if I recall correctly from other conversations here. But they’re in Torrance CA... Could just be a fulfillment center up there?
Claridy designs and arranges for their manufacture. Outlaw Audio would handle all domestic logistics such as shipping and storage.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Claridy designs and arranges for their manufacture. Outlaw Audio would handle all domestic logistics such as shipping and storage.
Hey Shady, did claridy have a hand in the Monoliths, too. Thought I saw s drawing on their website that looked a lot like them. Just curious. ;)
Thanks!

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Hey Shady, did claridy have a hand in the Monoliths, too. Thought I saw s drawing on their website that looked a lot like them. Just curious. ;)
Thanks!
Yes they did!

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
I know this has already been addressed but, I can't stop myself from responding anyway.

Two perfectly co-located subwoofers in an anechoic room increase peak SPL at any given frequency by about 6dB's because you gain 3dB's from the doubling of cone area (it's like adding 3dB's of efficiency) and because you added a second amp, 3dB's for that.

Go back to a real room and the matter becomes far more complex. If you co-locate the subs in a room, you do typically see an increase, but because the room is also dominating the response and sound, because dips are often caused by cancelation, you may not see any increase at certain frequencies. Just like EQ can't fix a cancelation dip, neither can more sub output.

However, once you start spreading those subs out you can improve smoothness and mitigate those cancelation dips from modes. So you see an increase from that just because the response becomes flatter, and you see an increase because it is more sub in the room. In a room where the subs can be roughly time and level aligned, you do tend to see a sizable increase potential, but again, in practice, that isn't how it works and what happens is maybe 1-2dB's (that can be associated with the increased drivers and amps rather than smoothness).

Now, because smoothness in a room is a function of the number of low-frequency sources defined as 1/N, the more the better. The sweet spot according to Geddes is 3 if you can use the mains as LF sources, and 4 if you are Harman and rely only on the subs.

In other words, buy the highest output subwoofer you can afford, then start saving for two more, not one more, if you want the best response and maximum output. Or, don't try to achieve a flat/smooth response over a wide range of seating positions, stick the subs right next to your chair, and call it a day. Everyone else be ....well you know.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I know this has already been addressed but, I can't stop myself from responding anyway.

Two perfectly co-located subwoofers in an anechoic room increase peak SPL at any given frequency by about 6dB's because you gain 3dB's from the doubling of cone area (it's like adding 3dB's of efficiency) and because you added a second amp, 3dB's for that.

Go back to a real room and the matter becomes far more complex. If you co-locate the subs in a room, you do typically see an increase, but because the room is also dominating the response and sound, because dips are often caused by cancelation, you may not see any increase at certain frequencies. Just like EQ can't fix a cancelation dip, neither can more sub output.

However, once you start spreading those subs out you can improve smoothness and mitigate those cancelation dips from modes. So you see an increase from that just because the response becomes flatter, and you see an increase because it is more sub in the room. In a room where the subs can be roughly time and level aligned, you do tend to see a sizable increase potential, but again, in practice, that isn't how it works and what happens is maybe 1-2dB's (that can be associated with the increased drivers and amps rather than smoothness).

Now, because smoothness in a room is a function of the number of low-frequency sources defined as 1/N, the more the better. The sweet spot according to Geddes is 3 if you can use the mains as LF sources, and 4 if you are Harman and rely only on the subs.

In other words, buy the highest output subwoofer you can afford, then start saving for two more, not one more, if you want the best response and maximum output. Or, don't try to achieve a flat/smooth response over a wide range of seating positions, stick the subs right next to your chair, and call it a day. Everyone else be ....well you know.
I'm sure most of the cats here have seen this in some form or another, but stumbled on this link when researching multiple subs for my big room before the SAF went negative and I ended up building for my "office." (~2000'3 instead of >8000'3)
Geddes Multisub
It was the first time I had seen this and saved the link.
Cheers!

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
I'm sure most of the cats here have seen this in some form or another, but stumbled on this link when researching multiple subs for my big room before the SAF went negative and I ended up building for my "office." (~2000'3 instead of >8000'3)
Geddes Multisub
It was the first time I had seen this and saved the link.
Cheers!
Yes he did a great job documenting the approach.

My video also covers the approach and it’s fundamentals.
There are some things in my video that aren’t in that guide. Geddes ideas have never been perfectly captured in any one place. When I did that presentation I ran it by Geddes and we discussed many of the finer points.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis