Do Soundwave disappear? MTM...

B

Bullpup33

Audiophyte
So. Really nerdy question. I have heard that if you take a bright tweeter from the top and make it an MTM configuration it will make it less harsh/bright. The question is does the woofer in effect cancel out some of the high frequency waves or do they simply fool your ear, but the high frequency is still there?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
No, MTM will not cancel out any of the tweeter's output. MTM will cancel out the mid-woofer's output at the off-axis angle where the woofers are aligned, especially at higher frequency end of their bandwidth. That could possibly make the speaker sound less bright.

B

Bullpup33

Audiophyte
So why do people say, in some instances, that adding a subwoofer will soften up the highs?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So why do people say, in some instances, that adding a subwoofer will soften up the highs?
People will say all kinds of crazy things, especially in audio. It's possible that when people add the sub, they run the bass hot, and that tilts the overall sound more towards the low end of the frequency spectrum, which may give the overall sound a warmer signature.

B

Bullpup33

Audiophyte
So, it sounds like, pun intended, that the frequency is still there. It is actually fooling the ear then.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So, it sounds like, pun intended, that the frequency is still there. It is actually fooling the ear then.
If you have a discriminating ear you will not be fooled! Unfortunately what you describe is all too common.

B

Bullpup33

Audiophyte
So my ears are still getting destroyed, but at least I am enjoying the ride.

K

KNOTSCOTT

Enthusiast
it'd be much easier to add felt or foam anti-diffraction rings to the tweeters. It'll absorb a bit of the treble reflection, and should soften it a bit. You can customize them, and add as little or as much as you like, and its' fully reversible if you don't like it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There's a lot of woo out there around this hobby and it can be treacherous for newcomers. I say take all claims with a grain of salt and follow the science. The more magical the claim the less likely it is to be true. Some less scrupulous companies lean pretty hard on placebo and expectation bias and make a fortune on it.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
There's a lot of woo out there around this hobby and it can be treacherous for newcomers. I say take all claims with a grain of salt and follow the science. The more magical the claim the less likely it is to be true. Some less scrupulous companies lean pretty hard on placebo and expectation bias and make a fortune on it.
Snake oil claims , just to confuse new audiophiles $$. Why on earth would a sub affect highs?
Maybe in a small room it could drown it out but not if levels are matched ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis