Do newer Blue-ray players have problems with older DVDs?

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I just took a look at the DVD I was watching that has Korean subtitles and Korean writing is all over the case. Could this have happened if the DVD is actually the wrong region?

I got the DVD off Amazon and Amazon is not good at controlling this stuff.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I just took a look at the DVD I was watching that has Korean subtitles and Korean writing is all over the case. Could this have happened if the DVD is actually the wrong region?

I got the DVD off Amazon and Amazon is not good at controlling this stuff.
That's possible....it could have just froze the player.
It's been so long since I've used an actual disc player (all my media is on hard drives), but I do remember things like you describe happening.
This used to happen to Playstations, and sometimes the only way to see what was going on was to plug it into another tv with a different resolution....that got it over the hump so to speak, and allowed the reset procedure.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do you actually have any standard commercial dvds from our region? :)

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I plugged it into the older Samsung TV upstairs this morning and it worked after thinking for a while. At first it wouldn't play when I pressed the remote buttons. Eventually it did play and then I tried some other discs and it worked.

I have not attached it back to the LG C2 OLED TV I have here. In the evening I decided to just get a better player so I ordered a Panasonic DP-UB820-K that will arrive by 10pm tonight.

While at first I thought that the video from the DVD on the older unit wasn't as good, it slowly got better and I had the much blacker blacks that I'd expect from an OLED TV. So I just decided to replace the player with a better player.

I will likely plug the replaced player into the TV here just to see but we could use a player at our house in Maine for the summer so likely I'll save it for that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis