Do I really need a subwoofer? Please answer!

M

mariusga

Audiophyte
I use my system mainly for music listening.
Recently I changed the AV receiver to Yamaha rx-v657 that it’s a really great receiver.
The rest of the system: Sony C222ES SACD player, Tannoy R3 front speakers, B&W surround and center. The Tannoys R3 have very good low frequency response and with my audioquest cables (I made them by myself) the bass is full, very musical and sound great for my taste.
I wonder if adding a subwoofer I’ll get something more? Especially if I don’t want to spend big bucks for this.
Thanks

sdy284

sdy284

Audioholic
no doubt in my mind that a sub would improve your music experiance. What's your approximate budget for a sub

Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
Go to any audio store and listen to a system with out a sub and then with it the sub on. It adds depth to any system. HT or just Music.

D

df4801

Banned
If you asked this question on another forum, please do not try to get other opinions.

Whats the difference between pompous and arrogant........ Not much.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
df4801 said:
If you asked this question on another forum, please do not try to get other opinions.

Whats the difference between pompous and arrogant........ Not much.
Huh?........

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
df4801 said:
Actually, this was not the unspoken intent of my post. Laziness was.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Mark: (from the other site) Your audioquest cables add enough LFE boost to make a subwoofer redundant.
LMAO. Now that's funny.

Mari, if you're satisfied with the sound, you don't necessarily need a subwoofer.

If you're mainly a music guy, a small Deftech SuperCube would round out the bottom end nicely if you have extra cash.

V

Vigor

Junior Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
LMAO. Now that's funny.

Mari, if you're satisfied with the sound, you don't necessarily need a subwoofer.

If you're mainly a music guy, a small Deftech SuperCube would round out the bottom end nicely if you have extra cash.

I agree 100%. in fact some musics guys do not ilke to add a subwoofer. and with your Tannoy R3 front speakers you are musical, my advice to you is to borrow a sube from a pal and to try it in your place.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
probably the best reason to get a sub is to unload the lower frequencies off yor main speakers. you do this not to save the speakers, but to save the receiver.

low-end grunt (bass) sucks a lot of power from your receiver that could be used for much more useful purposes. It will be pushing hard to drive the mains and may not sound as good or last as long.

even some of the sub-$ 200 Yamaha or Velodyne units will give you a decent, maybe not spectacular, sound, but they will definitely help out the "big picture" for the receiver.

majorloser

majorloser

First, cables don't do jack for frequency response. That falls under Snake Oil.

Do you really NEED a subwoofer, no. But since you have a home theater surround system, a subwoofer becomes a must. Movie soundtracks have far more bass than most music and at lower frequencies. There plenty of movie soundtracks these days that are going below the 20Hz mark.

R

RMK!

Subwoofers

Since you are happy with the bass of your Tannoy's, I would not bother with a sub (unless you really like Pipe Organ music). They (subs) are great for LFE in movies, but you need to spend about $1K min. for a sub that would be good for both music and movies.

OTOH, experimentaion is fun and this is a hobby, so if you have the funds why not.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
hidog1 said:
Since you are happy with the bass of your Tannoy's, I would not bother with a sub (unless you really like Pipe Organ music). They (subs) are great for LFE in movies, but you need to spend about $1K min. for a sub that would be good for both music and movies.

OTOH, experimentaion is fun and this is a hobby, so if you have the funds why not.
That wrong advice,sorry.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis