DLP Projectors - Business vs Home Theatre

J

j_croft

Audiophyte
It seems that business based DLP projectors like the In Focus LP600 have far superior specs as opposed to their home theatre line of projectors, at the same price point.
For instance, the In Focus (I use that brand name, but his applies to all manufacturers) LP600 has 2200 lumens, 2000:1 contrast level, native DLP, SXGA, 1080i, auto keystone correction... for about $2500 (Canadian funds) while the SP5000 has 1100 lumens, 1200:1 contrast ratio, 1080i ... for about $2700 (Canadian funds).
I must be missing something. What makes a home theatre projector better than a business unit? Help.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
One of the big issues is the lie of projector numbers.

Lumen ratings are almost never anywhere near specification after a projector has been properly calibrated (ISF) for video. When you get good video blacks, proper whites and all the colors accurate, you find that most projectors for home use actually run closer to 500 lumens or so. Sometimes a little more - or slightly less.

But, they look phenomenal with video. They have very good scalers inside that tend not to allow motion artifacts on the screen. A lot of your money is going to pay for that processor so that video is smooth and clean.

This sounds like a bum deal, but you really have to get GOOD content and compare it side to side to see the difference. Stair stepping is when a diagonal line runs across the screen and looks all jerky instead of a clean straight line. A good home theater projector corrects that issue and makes it straight. A business projector almost NEVER includes that processing. Why should it? For your PowerPoint presentation?

All businesses want is a projector that can handle a few lights on in the room and a bright image.

Also, the technology with color wheels in home theater projectors is different than with business projectors. Business projectors usually include a clear section on their wheel to increase brightness. Home theater projectors usually don't, so color is better maintained and black levels are better.

Now, what you compared should be noted as two very different projectors.
The SP5000 is a NATIVE 16x9 projector at 1280x720 which means it's putting actual widescreen stuff up on the screen as it should be. It also is LCD instead of DLP which means we are discussing different categories altogether. The 3 chip LCD will never produce a rainbow effect which can be very distracting in video, and almost is never an issue in the boardroom with static displays. You will likely find a better lens on that SP5000 as well. The SP5000 also includes horizontal and vertical keystone correction, which likely isn't on the business model. No metion of whether it is just digital or optical as well.

Now, InFocus isn't exactly well known for the home theater projectors, though they do have some that are strongly recommended... But, the reality is that there are companies that really focus on making top notch video specific projectors that do so for a good price.

What you usually find on a home theater projector is that it includes the folowing features that many business projectors do not, and people are unaware of:
1. Designed to handle motion better
2. Black levels are better
3. Colors are more accurate
4. Vertical OPTICAL lens shift (very important that it is optical!)
5. Horizontal OPTICAL lens shift (sometimes) (also important to be optical!)
6. Quieter - sometimes dead silent. No obnoxious noise bothering viewers.
7. Better processing
8. Better optics
9. Native 16:9 ratio designed specifically for DVDs and HDTV - looks awesome!

Does that mean that 16:9 home theater projectors are always the way to go? No, of course not... But, to get the most out of a theater, you need a lot more than lumens to make a good picture.

In fact, it is very well known with theater installers that to many lumens is actually hard on the eyes. In a totally black room, ideal for film viewing, about 300-700 lumens is all that is necessary for a stunningly bright image. Your eyes simply adjust and do a marvelous job at it. So, it is everything other than lumen count that matters.

Likewise, when you get a digital camera, while megapixel count matters, if the color sucks, it eats batteries, and it is slow to take a shot then what makes the 5MP camera better than a 3MP camera that doesn't have all those flaws?

Anyway - not meant as a rant, but I have heard "What, I saw this projector that has twice as many lumens for half the price!" quite often. There is a reason it costs more from the same manufacturer for home theater... and it isn't about lumens.

J

j_croft

Audiophyte
Wow, great answer, thanks for all the details. OK, so you've solved dilemma number one. Dilemma number two is which brand name do I trust most? I would like to spend about $3000 CDN on a projector and then buy a very good screen. Basically budget of $5000. What projector gives the best bang for the buck? Do I go DLP or LCD?
I have a light controlled room, so there will be minimal light exposure. I have decided to go 1.78:1 and run it on a 100" screen. I can customize my screen for either high gain or grey levels...
So, which way do you recommend? NEC, Plus, In Focus, Toshiba, Sony...? Any ideas on a specific model?
This sight kicks butt.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I check this site every day - but every few days I check this site, because it kicks butt as well:

www.projectorcentral.com

That site is ALL about projectors specifically for home theater use. Their recommendations are pretty high up there and user reviews are really what you should pay attention to. Especially negative reviews! I bought a Panasonic PT-L300U projector a couple of years ago site unseen based on the reviews and information on that site. I was VERY impressed with the quality.

You really have to look at all the projector brands out there and be buy from a place that gives you a 10-30 day money back promise, or offers something in case you aren't happy with your purchase.

One of the biggest things you want to do is look at DLP and see if you, or anyone in your home, has rainbow issues. The DLP rainbow, from the spinning wheel, is a major issue for some people, and others don't notice it at all. So, make damn sure you don't have a rainbow issue before you purchase, or make sure you can return it if you do have an issue. The only solution to DLP rainbows is the 3-chip DLP or any LCD projector. 3-chip DLP is out of most people's price range.

To look at:
Panasonic PT-AE700U
Sanyo Z3

Pretty much LCD is the way to go at your price range for a good home theater projector, but with the new LCD's I don't think you will be disappointed at all.

The Sharp XV-Z2000 due out anytime now may be a great way to go if you can swing the extra $$$ and the wait for it.

Once again: Start reading at www.projectorcentral.com !!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis