C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I just finished my enclosures for my 4 MBM's using these woofers:
Theyre tuned @ 45hz. I have them at 45hz to 150hz with the Mini DSP. They actually sound really good with my other subwoofer which is an 18" TC Sounds LMS-R set at 20hz to 80hz with the Mini DSP. A lot more chest slam thats for sure! I have 1 MBM under each 1099 and 2 directly behind my MLP. I am going to boost 90hz at .5 Q +3db and see if gunshots kick in the chest more. Anyone want to suggest a different frequency for gunshots and is 3db enough do you think? I really want gunshots to be more intense!

Last edited:
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I dont have a mic. I have my fronts and center which are the DIYSG 1099's set to 80hz and up on the AVR. My MBM's are set from 45hz to 150hz on the Mini DSP. And my 18" TC Sounds LMS-R Ultra 5400 set from 20hz to 80hz with +5.5db @ 20hz on the Mini DSP. It digs a lot deeper with it 5.5db hot. Is that a bad idea to do 5.5db. I am going to boost the MBM's at 90hz at .5 Q +3db and see if gunshots kick in the chest more. I know theres a lot of overlapping but it sounds great so far! I have only tested music though because my BenQ LK970 is getting fixed right now.

Last edited:
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Does the boost at 20hz at +5.5db sound ok? What about the 4 MBM's... will +3db at 90hz help for more of a kick in the chest with gunshots? Or should I be boosting at 60hz or 120hz for gunshots?

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I believe most members on AH don’t use or believe mbm,s because they are not really necessary and just add complexity. Your probably just gonna have to experiment and see what sounds best to you. That is a large boost at 20hz. Be very careful not to bottom out that very nice but discontinued TC Sound driver. Someone more experienced will come along and help, seems weekends get a little slow on AH.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I never run my TC Sounds into clipping for more than a second and only with music. Movies it never comes close to clipping. If the song is making the Crown XLS 2500 amp clip I immediately turn it down until theres no red light on the amp (clipping)! I also have a Crown XLS 1000 amp for the 4 MBM's.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Anyone know where to boost the frequency of the MBM's for gunshots? I want to feel the gunshots!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Anyone know where to boost the frequency of the MBM's for gunshots? I want to feel the gunshots!
Explain gun shots. Small caliber weapons like pistols and rifles are typically up over 1khz, so you aren't going to get much more unless you match the actual SPL, and even then, many don't have what could be described as any mid bass punch. It's more like a 'crack' sound than a boom, until you get up into cannons, or other large caliber weapons.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Explain gun shots. Small caliber weapons like pistols and rifles are typically up over 1khz, so you aren't going to get much more unless you match the actual SPL, and even then, many don't have what could be described as any mid bass punch. It's more like a 'crack' sound than a boom, until you get up into cannons, or other large caliber weapons.
Think John Wick 2 gunshots.
Effectively he's questing for the chest punch from about ~100-200Hz.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
There is a Robert Duval western called Open Range. It might be added for effect but in the final gunfight in town has exreme percussion and seems a bit lower frequency when the shotguns an rifles are shot. It’s like it’s overdone a little but just enough to make it get your attention and make you enjoy your subwoofer kick you in the chest. I enjoyed the whole movie but would recommend the last 30 minutes for testing gunshots.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Thanks guys! Yes looking for 100 to 200hz.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I get my projector back tomorrow so I will be able to check out those movies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis