Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Three questions regarding homebuilt speakers.

#1. &nbsp;When making ports, does anyone radius the outlet, or do you leave it square?

#2 Are the speakers available from partsexpress good quality or should I find another source?

#3 What fill do you use and do you totally fill the enclosure?</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Can't answer #1 and #3, (well, I think the answers to #3 are "usually polyester fiber, and it depends") but as for #2, yes. The brands they carry like Vifa, Morel, Audax and Peerless are used by many reputable manufacturers including high-end. Their own Dayton brand can be good too, I've heard.

I'm not a hardcore DIY speaker builder/designer, though. But the Vifa drivers spec'd by Siegfried Linkwitz for his dipole design that I built came from PE, as did most of the crossover components.</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>There are several ways to do ports depending on cabinet design, www.madisound.com has everything you could ever need for speaker design. Check out the ports and port covers.</font>

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I own the BR-1 set form parts express, and it is quite a nice kit. &nbsp;I would be willing to bet money that a better kit doesn't exist at it's price point.

The speaker has very impressive bass extension, bad side is this adds a slight amount of coloration to the lower mids. &nbsp;The highs are quite smooth and sound about right for a sub-$300 speaker.

All things considered, it's a heck of a deal, but you WILL have to know how to solder well to ensure a proper assembly. &nbsp;Heatsink clips or a SMD rework station is necessary to ensure the caps don't get fried (buy the clips...they cost FAR less.).

I can't say much for their other kits, but their "Euro" kit is on my future "to-buy" list, mostly due to how much I love my BR-1 kit.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis