S

static79

Audiophyte
Here

Just wanted to know what you guys thought. Tips and suggestions highly encouraged before I get this thing off and running.

BTW, this is great forum. I've gotten lots of good tips already!

Matt

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
I just completed a similar project. I used Belden 5000UE 12 ga. with Cobalt Cable locking banana plugs. I have Monster bananas soldered to the other end where they connect to my Denon 3805. I'm thinking about adding the wire boots to get that larger look at the back of my speakers. This was the first time I've used Techflex and attempted this type of project and I'm happy with the results plus it was fun. I recently bi-amped my 3805 and if I leave it this way I'll make another pair using black Techflex to contrast with the carbon I used on these.

Last edited:
Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Static,

The chrome Techflex on the tails would be overkill and not necessary since it will be covered by the boot and therefore not seen. Cheaper than chrome, use white Techflex over the entire cable then cover it with the carbon colored Techflex. The effect will be the same and much cheaper. You'll also need some shrink wrap, it will make stuffing the braid into the boot easier.

S

static79

Audiophyte
thanks for the suggestions guys.

mudcat, the chrome techflex is running the entire length of each seperate wire acting as an emi shield. do you think this is still overkill? if i could drop that without significant change in signal quality, i will. what do you think? it is the most expensive purchase for this project. oh and i did plan on using heat shrink. there's plenty at work, along with oscopes, multimeters, and megger line testers! it's good to have free access to stuff. ;)

duff, i love those cobalt cable banana connectors. if i can drop the chrome techflex, i'll replace my connectors with those. do you get good connectivity with them?

Duffinator

Duffinator

static79 said:
duff, i love those cobalt cable banana connectors. if i can drop the chrome techflex, i'll replace my connectors with those. do you get good connectivity with them?
Yes. They tighten up nicely and make a firm connection. They were $11.95/pair.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
static79 said:
mudcat, the chrome techflex is running the entire length of each seperate wire acting as an emi shield. do you think this is still overkill?

It was not clear in the posted picture that the chrome braid ran the length of the speaker cable. However, to answer your question.

Yes I do.

There is a recent article here at AH about shielding.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/quadshieldcables.php

Keep in mind that the chrome Techflex is not really chrome metal, but chrome colored mylar - there may be some metal in it but not much. The Techflex's shielding ability is minimal at best, and certaintly not necessary for a speaker level signal. Shielding is great and necessary for line level signal ICs though.

static79 said:
if i could drop that without significant change in signal quality, i will. what do you think? it is the most expensive purchase for this project.
Drop it.

B

boe

Audioholic
Those cobalt locking banana connectors are sweet - the ones on their web page don't look like this. I checked - they no longer carry that model - bummer!

What connectors in this price range would you recommend? I'm considering making my own with a little more care this time. I'm thinking if I use set screws I could be OK.

Last edited:
Duffinator

Duffinator

boe said:
Those cobalt locking banana connectors are sweet - the ones on their web page don't look like this. I checked - they no longer carry that model - bummer!

What connectors in this price range would you recommend? I'm considering making my own with a little more care this time. I'm thinking if I use set screws I could be OK.
I got your PM and will get back to you later. I just ordered another pair and requested the older style. I should have them Thursday and will see if I get the new or old ones. Other than looking slightly different they are probably very similar in design. The ones in my picture have two set screws to hold the cable in the plugs. It's a clean, simple design and they tighten up nicely. I'm sure the new style will work just as good as the ones I have.

Duffinator

Duffinator

I received the new style Cobalt Cable banana plugs today. The older style in the photos below have a pin attached to the wire with two set screws. The outer barrel, either red or black, screws over the pin with backwards threads and as you tighten them the pin gets pushed into the outer barrel opening up the plug and tightening into the binding post. The new style also attach the wire with two set screws, but the outer barrel covers the set screws and pushes a pin (the one sticking out on either side) into the plug and tightening it into the binding post. If you can follow that you are smarter than me! :eek: The older style has red and black barrels that have thick fins. The newer style are only black with divots that are easier to grip while turning the barrel. Bottom line is I think the older style looks a bit nicer but the newer ones will be easier to use and will probably tighten even better making the new ones better than the old style. :)

The good news is they are on sale right now. Less than $17 delivered for two pair!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis