DIY Speaker Cable - WHICH CONNECTORS?

O

oddio

Audiophyte
What are the relative merits of the various brands and styles of DIY speaker cable connectors (i.e., plugs vs. spades vs. posts, Dayton Audio vs. Monster Quick Lock vs. GLS Audio vs. whatever)? I'm thinking mainly of connectors under $15/pair (the low-to-mid range) for use with 10/12 gauge wire.

While there is much discussion of speaker wire, I have not found very many reviews, opinions or other resources on this topic.

Background: Currently I'm using Dayton Audio banana plugs as shown in the Audioholics article "DIY Speaker Cables". However, on my Denon 3805 with Totem speakers I find that they do not seem to fit as tightly as I think they should (at both the receiver and speaker ends). So, I was thinking of testing a different brand.

Last edited:
M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
It's a personal opinion matter. Myself, I'm partial to spades, but right now are using bare wire for my 2-chanel rig and flex-pins for my HT rig. Once I get my 2-channel's placement finalized, I am going to invest in some spades and make some nice cables.

Here is my opinion on each

solid pins: worthless, contact is too small

flex pins: far better than solid, similar contact as bare wire, but fits in spring terminals.

bananas: similar contact to flex pins, but easier to use, just push into the top part of the binding post and your good to go.

spades: huge contact area, but only a handful of equipment will handle them. (I had to modify my Yamaha RX-496 to accept spades).

Really, just go with what you like, but I do strongly advise against solid pins...the contact on them is very poor since the pin is so thin and doesn't flatten out.

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
IMO, bare wire, spades, and bananas are the only 3 worthwhile options.

Bare wire is easy, has not potential for losses, and is certainly cheap! ;)

Spades are my personal preference due to good surface area contact on the speakers. Yes. Some amps have issues taking them. Most good separate amps have no problems.

Bananas - certainly easy to connect/disconnect. If you go this way, I would suggest getting something that expands or locks in place. Cheaper bananas are pretty much worthless as they lose their grip after a while and make pretty poor contact.

O

oddio

Audiophyte
How about good connector brands/models?

Thanks for the opinions!

In terms of spades & bananas does anyone have any thoughts on good value brands(costing between $6 and $20 for a set of 4)?

For example, here are some options from Parts Express

+ Dayton Audio Bananas: $6.95/4 (same as Audioholics DIY article, but I find them to fit a bit loosely sometimes)

+ Monster Quick Locks Bananas/Spades: $19.95/4

Other brands/models worth considering?

Thanks!

O

oddio

Audiophyte
Spades with Denon 3805?

Anyone tried fitting spades to the back of a Denon 3805 with any success? If so, which brand?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Most AV receivers are too narrow for spades to fit. Banana plugs are usually your best option here. Cobalt Cable sells some spiffy locking banana plugs for about 12 bucks a pair (last time I checked).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis