DIY speaker build first time recommendations

B

BrianC

Junior Audioholic
Hey all,

Im ready to take on my first diy speaker building project. from what ive read, it sounds like dollar for dollar its the best value way to go, and with my decent woodworking skills and access to tools/supplies, im ready to go. my question is, which build do you think would suit me best?

Im probably 75/25 HT/Music, but am more impressed with music quality so i guess thats my priority. I like mostly classical and rock music. My equipment- Yamaha 667 pre/pro, Emotiva XPA-3 (200x3@8ohms), Dayton 15" ported sub powered by behringer proamp, and diy cat5 cables.

My room is the real trick. 20x20x8,and opens up in the rear to a stair case upstairs. The only way to really get the setup spaced out properly is in the corner of the room. The sub is in the corner, hidden by the tv/stand/gear which sits at a 45* facing a 45* couch. The L/R stand about 12 ft apart, and center listening position is about 13 ft away. Currently, that 12 ft apart leaves them only about 6" from the 45* wall behind them, and the only way i can really increase that wall distance would be to move them closer together. Currently no treatments for the room in place. Hardwood floors, big shaggy rug in front, large leather couch and chair, and big drapes guarding windows.

The sound is decent now, and a ill probably build a second sub to smooth response within a year or two, but my Ascend Sierras just cant quite fill the space, so theyre moving to my BR. Id like something more in a tower design, and am most intruiged my the Mini Statements and ER18 so far, but i want to hear others opinions on what people really like. Id like to keep the kit under $1k, box costs not included.

Thanks all,

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I really like my ER18's but I haven't tried them in a room that large. (mine's 21*12*7) I would venture a guess that they could handle it but I have no rooms that large. :/

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis