cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
After reading up on DIY cable on this site I've decided to give them a shot.
I was thinking of buying equal lenghts of this in red/black and twisting them, then using small section of heat shrink every foot to hold the twist, eventually terminted in these for my subwoofer.

I also plan on using 12 guage wire with the same banana connectors for the rest of my speakers.

I'm using the red/black wire and black chrome plugs for a little eye candy.

Does anybody see any fatal flaws in my design?

-Chris

Last edited:
L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
cbecker33 said:
Does anybody see any fatal flaws in my design?
-Chris
the only possible problem is flexibility... it looks like a rather coarse grade winding... will it bend where you need it to bend ? other than that, make sure the plugs will take a wire that big...

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Leprkon said:
the only possible problem is flexibility... it looks like a rather coarse grade winding...
Would this be a better choice?? I noticed it doesn't mention the wire as being "oxygen free" so I guess that would be a problem.

-chris

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
it does say OFC (oxygen-free copper) in the desciption, so you'd be ok there.

I guess the deciding point is do you have to be able to bend it ? the Parts Express product will probably be much easier to bend. It's also four times the price..

check behind your receiver... if you have a clean shot in for the banana plug, go with the less expensive stuff.

one real neat thing about Parts Exp is that one of their lead guys posts here often, so if you aren't happy, you would get to yell at him and everybody would know you did and he would know that everybody knew (Captain Amazing, anybody)...

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Leprkon said:
the only possible problem is flexibility... it looks like a rather coarse grade winding...
I asked the gentleman selling the wire about the strand count (I assume this is the most pertinent factor relateing to flexibility, followed by outer covering). He stated that it was 105 count....I assume this will be very stiff....I may have to look elsewhere.

Chris

E

ebough

Junior Audioholic
Consider the following method: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_2/ultralink-CL414-cable-5-2003.html

By using in-wall 14 gauge 4 conductor wire, you get a very clean flexible unit to deal with. By pairing the conductors, you wind up with effective 2-conductor 11 AWG speaker cable. It should be fine in runs up to 50 or 60 ft. Just buy the 14 gauge 4 conductor wire from the cheapest vendor. Also, get whatever banana plugs you prefer. But the general concept works great.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Thanks...feelin' the love

Leprkon said:
one real neat thing about Parts Exp is that one of their lead guys posts here often, so if you aren't happy, you would get to yell at him and everybody would know you did and he would know that everybody knew (Captain Amazing, anybody)...
Now what did I do to get this? :confused: If there is a "problem" (not user error) then all you need to do is call the call center and return the product for replacement of refund...(we do have a 45 day return policy)

The fine print:
MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - Purchase any of the quality products on this website and if for any reason you decide that the part does not suit your application or just isn't for you, simply return it to us, postage paid, within 45 days and we will promptly issue you a merchandise credit or refund, whichever YOU prefer. Items must be returned in SALEABLE condition with all original factory packaging, accessories, and manuals/literature included to receive full credit.

RETURNS - Report defective products to 800-338-0531. For all other returns, simply fill out the return form provided on the lower portion of your invoice and return within 45 days of invoice date. Include carton, instructions, manuals, parts, accessories, and warranty cards. Package carefully to avoid damage in transit. Ship via UPS Ground in US, Canada, and Puerto Rico. Books, audio tapes, software, instructional video tapes, test cd’s, and special order items, product with signs of use, items damaged en route to us due to improper packing, and items damaged as a result of improper use are not returnable. Write your customer ID # and invoice # (located on the return form) on the outside of your box and return to:

Parts Express
Attn: Returns Department
725 Pleasant Valley Drive
Springboro, Ohio 45066

So...Leprkon...what's up with the slam telling people they can yell at me?!

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
JohnA said:
The fine print:
MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - Purchase any of the quality products on this website and if for any reason you decide that the part does not suit your application or just isn't for you, simply return it to us, postage paid, within 45 days and we will promptly issue you a merchandise credit or refund, whichever YOU prefer. Items must be returned in SALEABLE condition with all original factory packaging, accessories, and manuals/literature included to receive full credit.

Damnit.....I bought a plate amp from PE a couple of months of ago for DIY sub. I then got TDY orders to Ft. Story for 3.5 months where I purchased a different sub (hey-it was a steal). I guess I'll have to sell the amp on ebay. :( Ohwell....them's the breaks :)

Chris

Last edited:
JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
cbecker33 said:
Damnit.....I bought a plate amp from PE a couple of months of ago for DIY sub. I then got TDY orders to Ft. Story for 3.5 months where I purchased a different sub (hey-it was a steal). I guess I'll have to sell the amp on ebay. :( Ohwell....them's the breaks :)

Chris

Or you can keep the amp and build another sub! :D

D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
DIY Cable

The Sound King 12 AWG wire that I did the DIY speaker cable article with is very flexible. If you want to go to a 10 AWG they have that also. The banana plugs I used in the article will take up to 8 AWG.
Dan Banquer

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
JohnA said:
Or you can keep the amp and build another sub! :D
I already have a polk (the bottom half of this ) - don't ask me how I came about it, but I really like the sound.

And then I just got one of these .

I have a mackie 2600 to run the 15.2 power cube.

I plan on using the Stryke for 60hz and below, and using the polk to catch from 150 to 60hz.....we'll see if this works....

Anyway, as you can see, I think I have enough sub for now.

-chris

Attachments

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
JohnA said:
Now what did I do to get this? :confused:

So...Leprkon...what's up with the slam telling people they can yell at me?!
Grief ?? :eek: I didn't mean it to sound that way... By pointing out that you post (and read) here often, I was letting CB know that you and your company actually listen when people talk. :)

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
I see!

Leprkon said:
Grief ?? :eek: I didn't mean it to sound that way... By pointing out that you post (and read) here often, I was letting CB know that you and your company actually listen when people talk. :)
That's ok...I'll let it go this time :p And what you say is true. We at Parts Express do listen and care about our clients. We strive to be the best out there, and part of that involves excellent customer service, through this forum answering questions or through our call center and tech support. So Leprkon...thanks for the support!! ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis