DIY 18" sub: completed

H

Haaspac

Audioholic
As of yesterday, My dad and I finally finished a project that I had been wanting to do since late 2011, a DIY 18" beast-mode subwoofer. Cabinet measures 750mm wide x 610mm tall x 700mm deep, and the MDF is 28mm thick. Subwoofer is a Monacor SPH 450TC and the Amp is a RCM Acoustik Detonation DT300. Painting the thing damn near took longer than building the box. We used several coats of black and clear gloss coats. We secured the box with screws and then used a hot glue gun on every single seam on the inside. We applied acoustic foam on all of the the walls inside the box, we added metal lifting handles to the sides, because it is extemely heavy, metal protectors to the corners, and rubber feet. To fill in seams we mixed MDF saw dust with glue and spread it with a putty knife, and sanded it smooth, then rinsed and repeated until we were satisfied.

Everything was completed and the subwoofer was plugged in last Wednesday, let my pioneer elite receiver do its auto calibration and then my gf put on some EDM to quickly test some bass. Bass was had. I said ok, lets get some pod racing going! got star wars on the tv aaaaaaaaaaaaand where is the bass? Amp was dead. I took the amp out of the sub, and went to a local electronics repair shop and crossed my fingers. Several days and $32 later they said the amp was fixed. New fuse and had to re-solder a couple of things. Much cheaper than buying a new amp for 309euros and shipping from Germany. I hooked everything back up late last night and did some pod racing again. Tremendous amounts of thunderous bass. I will be uploading some pictures later.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Hurry up with those pics! Until there are pics, it didn't happen. :)

Also, why didn't I think of hot glue for my DIY sub? Damn. Would've been so much nicer than the Gorilla Glue expanding out of the seams.

Anyway, congrats on your beast-mode sub! Have you had a chance to do any measurements?

H

Haaspac

Audioholic
I just put it back together last night and got it working around 9pm. I don't have any measuring equipment except for personal WOW factor. But I can tell you it is way more powerful than my SVS pc12 nsd. My dad is inheriting that sub and my new one is taking its place. This site has all the info on the sub I built.
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/index_hifi_en.htm?http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/b_sph450_en.htm?xxx?xxx

Also I don't know how much it cost all together, but I would have to say north of $1500. Custom thickness MDF, cone, amp, paints, tools etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis