Dish Network HD question

M

Milhouse

Audiophyte
I have a Dish Network HD system. I love the HD channels, but am disappointed there are so few of them. I heard that if I want to get my local network channels in HD, I need to add an antennae. I know there's one that hooks onto the dish itself. Anyone have any luck with these? Does it plug into the back of my dish box? How's the switching between the dish channels and antennae channels? Any help much appreciated!

C

CitronBull

Junior Audioholic
dish HD

I have dish network and I love the local HD channels. You have two options. You can get an antenna that goes at the top of your house, or you can get an indoor antenna. Both antenna's hook up directly to the back of the receiver. First go to antennaweb.org so you can find out how far you are from your nearest transmitting station. I used to have in indoor antenna and that did not work very well. I called www.antennasdirect.com and they suggested the right antenna for me. Now I get perfect local HD reception. More new shows are coming out on HD including sunday NFL and monday night football are broadcast in HD. BTW, I paid $30.00 plus shipping for my antenna and I bolted it on my balcony. I live in an apartment and the antenna works just fine. Good luck!

L

legends92

Audiophyte
When I visit Dish Network's website there is no mention of local HD channels. Direct TV and VOOM due advertise it on their website. Is there an antenna I can buy that connects to the dish like the one that DirectTV selss? Also does the local HD channels integrate with the rest of the Dish Network channels? Thanks in advance.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Integration between over the air transmissions and your Dish Network set top box is entirely dependant on the set top box.

The box may have a button you have to hit on the remote, you may have to scan for all the channels, you may have to do something else. Check you owners manual on the Dish box you own as it should explain it. More often though, manufacturers integrate local OTA channels seamlessly with satelite channels and you simply tune to an OTA channel with the remote and it shows up on screen.

Terk (www.terk.com) makes a ton of antennas that will fit exactly the need you are looking for. The antenna you are talking about that straddles your outdoor dish is manufactured by Terk and information about it is on their website. Most important is matching the antenna with your local broadcasting towers - not getting a pretty antenna that fits over your dish. OTA broadcasts typically require a fairly large room mounted antenna (you can try it in your attic) that is motorized to point in the correct direction.

L

legends92

Audiophyte
Thank you for the information it really helped.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis