Diract live questions

P

paulwgraber

Audioholic Intern
Setting up my HT with Diract live. Onkyo RZ50 THX monoprice in walls.
5.1.4 setup. DSP mik 1,
Confused by what mic input gain to set when leveling my speakers. Some sources say min gain others say to max it.
Also, I noticed diract sets my crossover on my speakers to 70. Even though they are THX should I leave them at 70?
Or even do full range?

RSL 12s Sub.

Any other quick Diract tips?

Thx in advance.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
FWIW, it’s DIRAC(no T).

I’d leave them at 70. THX certification can mean many things. I don’t remember a speakers extension being a thing. Just that they can play to certain loudness levels with minimal distortion.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If using Dirac I'd go with their recommendations primarily. Maybe try other crossovers with separate measurements...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Can’t remember if it’s like audyssey, in that it won’t eq below where the XO is set. So you can raise it, but it’s not recommend to lower it.

P

paulwgraber

Audioholic Intern
I also noticed when streaming off apple tv volume is very low.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I also noticed when streaming off apple tv volume is very low.
IME, atv is pretty consistent with volume. But depending on the source content, or sometimes the provider(NF, HULU Apple etc) it can be different. Makes it difficult to compare different tracks sometimes but the volume button works. lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
IME, atv is pretty consistent with volume. But depending on the source content, or sometimes the provider(NF, HULU Apple etc) it can be different. Makes it difficult to compare different tracks sometimes but the volume button works. lol
Yeah particular app/device implementation I think can be different.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah particular app/device implementation I think can be different.
It’d be nice if there were a standard of sorts. Mostly just annoying though. I just watched something the other night that was on NF. MV was -10, about 6db higher than normal for the same type of show. Not a big deal, just unusual.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It’d be nice if there were a standard of sorts. Mostly just annoying though. I just watched something the other night that was on NF. MV was -10, about 6db higher than normal for the same type of show. Not a big deal, just unusual.
Seems to me more recently varying among streaming providers....sometimes it's fine and other times it's down 10dB and super annoying (especially when you change to someone that's 10dB over normal levels)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Seems to me more recently varying among streaming providers....sometimes it's fine and other times it's down 10dB and super annoying (especially when you change to someone that's 10dB over normal levels)
Haha. YouTube is great for that. Wonder why it is that way for streaming providers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I've had I think more consistent results of level with youtube vs HBOmax and Prime and some others....
Interesting. I don’t have the other two, but Hulu, NF, Atv Vudu have been typically consistent with a few that were low in volume.
I remember some dvds that were on the hot side compared to others. Haven’t noticed that much on BDs. But if I do, I just bump it up.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting. I don’t have the other two, but Hulu, NF, Atv Vudu have been typically consistent with a few that were low in volume.
I remember some dvds that were on the hot side compared to others. Haven’t noticed that much on BDs. But if I do, I just bump it up.
I definitely see more variance in streaming than I ever did with discs. Streaming is doing some sort of "trimming" :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I definitely see more variance in streaming than I ever did with discs. Streaming is doing some sort of "trimming" :)
Wonder what they’d be thinking. Like is someone making a conscious decision to keep the source volume below a certain range? Is it for soundbars?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis