dipole surround ceiling speakers (how to mount)

I

intl_max

Audiophyte
dear friends, just got 2 dipole speakers to use for surround speakers.
( triangle shape )
I would like to have them fixed on the ceiling ( with the back of the speaker flat on the ceiling) but I'm puzzled about what might be the most appropriate direction to mount them.

see the picture.....

better have them with their main axis pointing toward the sitting area or the contrary??? ( to use the reart wall reflection effect)

hope my question was not too stupid and that someone can help me out.

rgds

max

Attachments

cam

cam

Audioholic
di-poles are best put exactly to your sides. Just make sure you put them on the proper side, there should be a L and a R on the back of the speaker. The speakers when set up properly will have the forward facing speaker in phase and the rearward facing speaker out of phase.

S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
My friend, with dipole speakers you must always take into account the reverse sound waves. Having had plenty of experience with dipole speakers seeing as my system is made
completely of them except my center channel I have a few suggestions. Dipole speakers tend to work best when placed a few (3-4) feet out from the wall. And depending on how wide the dispersion is on your planar speakers you might have to "toe in" your speakers slightly (like I do with mine)
Keep these speakers about ear level because they are line source speakers. I'm attaching some pics of my system to give you some ideas.

Attachments

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
intl_max said:
dear friends, just got 2 dipole speakers to use for surround speakers.
( triangle shape )
I would like to have them fixed on the ceiling ( with the back of the speaker flat on the ceiling) but I'm puzzled about what might be the most appropriate direction to mount them.

see the picture.....

better have them with their main axis pointing toward the sitting area or the contrary??? ( to use the reart wall reflection effect)

hope my question was not too stupid and that someone can help me out.

rgds max
As was suggested, best not to mount it on th eceiling. they don't belong there, sorry.
If the ceiling is your only option. you need a different speaker, designed for ceiling installation but even they will not sound very good. In/on ceiling should be avoided.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis