P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
Hi was curious when using a digital SPL meter to calibrate speakers to 75 dB. Do you calibrate until the numbers show 74.8- 75.2 around there or a constant 75db that doesn’t vary much if any into 74, or 76? I have a digital SPL and REW with U-Mik. Thank you!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Hi was curious when using a digital SPL meter to calibrate speakers to 75 dB. Do you calibrate until the numbers show 74.8- 75.2 around there or a constant 75db that doesn’t vary much if any into 74, or 76? I have a digital SPL and REW with U-Mik. Thank you!
You don't need to use a digital SPL meter to calibrate the UMIK for use with REW if you use the calibration file.

More details on the setup you can find here:

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Don't strive for too much accuracy. If you move the meter a few inches or move your body position or some furniture, the reading will change.

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
I was just using the Umik as a SPL on REW. Ok a lot of videos and post same to level the speakers at 75 dB but don’t distinguish between a constant 75 or when it’s bouncing between 74.8-75.2. A lot of the videos and post also use a analog spl meter and never show a digital which bounces around a lot.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I was just using the Umik as a SPL on REW. Ok a lot of videos and post same to level the speakers at 75 dB but don’t distinguish between a constant 75 or when it’s bouncing between 74.8-75.2. A lot of the videos and post also use a analog spl meter and never show a digital which bounces around a lot.
The SPL will bounce a around, in part because there is noise in the room. What some do on SPL meters is to set measurement display to "slow" so that it appears that the SPL is "constant".

If you go to the REW measurements dialogue you'll see a little graph that shows the current noise levels, and you can see that changing by just moving around.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I still use a Radio Shack digital meter. Still working after all of these years.

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
I have a hdmi hooked up to my A/V and REW doesn’t work properly. So I just play pink noise from my receiver instead. I can measure my speakers to 75 dB and still take measurements but the measurements tells me it’s at 46db when on the spl measures 75.

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
I found this video that finally uses a digital spl to demonstrate correct measurements. Everything else uses the analog spl meters with the needle.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis