Digital recording inputs/outputs

S

SoftEng

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I notice on the manual (page 22) for the Onkyo 801 that you cannot hook a device to both a digital input and a digital output!!

This means, for instance, that you cannot hook up a digital recorder optically to the receiver, you can either hook the input to the recorder or the output from the recorder but not both!

Is this true of the Yamaha too? &nbsp;The manual doesn't say explicitly but all the diagrams show only a one-way connection to the digital input of a recorder with analog connections out of the recorder.

The Sony STR-DA4ES explicitly has MD/DAT opitcal in and out so it does not have this problem.

YUCH!</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Have you tried connecting the receiver's digital output to the digital input of a DAT? &nbsp; Am not sure if I understood your problem correctly, but maybe some receivers disallow this for copyright reasons.</font>

S

SoftEng

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Well I tried it last night with the Yamaha V2400.

First I hooked my DVD player coax output to the &quot;DVD&quot; input on the receiver. (By the way, I used a $4, 12 foot cheapie shielded audio cable from Radio Shack - worked great!)

Then I hooked the Yamaha &quot;MD/TAPE&quot; optical output to my Audigy 2 NX PC soundcard input.

Then I hooked the digital coax output of the Audigy to the &quot;CD&quot; coax input on the receiver.

Then I configured the receiver to send the &quot;DVD&quot; input to the record outputs, which includes the &quot;MD/TAPE&quot; optical output that the Audigy is connected to. &nbsp;There is a front-panel rotary switch to do this.

The Audigy sucessfully &quot;read&quot; the DVD signal from the receiver, and fed it back in real time to the receiver on the &quot;CD&quot; digital coax input of the receiver.

Yeah! &nbsp;Record monitoring lives in the digital world!</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Glad to hear it works. &nbsp;So now you can record your DVDs audio output to the PC hard drive and subsequently into a CD or DVD writer. &nbsp;Right?</font>

S

SoftEng

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
av_phile : Glad to hear it works.  So now you can record your DVDs audio output to the PC hard drive and subsequently into a CD or DVD writer.  Right?
Sure, I could do that.  I can record any digital output to my PC hard drive whether its cable TV, DVD, CD, or whatever.  Then, I can also play it back digitally.

This is the thing the Onkyo supposedly prevents - the ability to hook a component up as both an input and output device - although on reflection it makes no sense and the manual is probably wrong.  But here's what it says on page 22 of the 801 manual:

&quot;If the device has a digital input, connect it to the DIGITAL
OUT OPT jack of the TX-NR801/TX-NR801E for
digital recording of the REC OUT signal from the
TX-NR801/TX-NR801E.
However, if the same device also has a digital output
and it has already been connected to the TX-NR801/
TX-NR801E, you cannot connect the digital input of
the device to the DIGITAL OUT jack of the TXNR801/
TX-NR801E simultaneously.
Note:
The output from the DIGITAL OUT jack of the
TX-NR801/TX-NR801E is only the digital signal input
to the DIGITAL IN jack.&quot;</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Porbably a good reason not to get an Onkyo receiver of this series. &nbsp;And to think the 801 is next to the flagship model.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis