Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Dear all

I've a question that I've been curious about for a while:

Here in sunny Britain, we have DAB, Digital Audio Broadcasting. I don't have it, but we have it. :rolleyes:

From what little I know of digital audio, I gather that in the case of CDs, if bits are lost in the data stream, an audible 'popping' (I've never heard it myself) sound occurs.

So what about digital radio? Assming that a weak signal is picked up, I imagine that whilst the sound may be digital, it'd still be a poor digital signal. In this case, 'dropouts', i.e. a loss of bits now and then, could presumably be quite common.

What happens in this instance? I can't imagine that the technology is such that my explanation would lead to lots of 'popping' (pop music! :rolleyes: ) sound. Does anybody know how it would all work?

Regards

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Buckle-meister said:
Dear all

I've a question that I've been curious about for a while:

Here in sunny Britain, we have DAB, Digital Audio Broadcasting. I don't have it, but we have it. :rolleyes:

From what little I know of digital audio, I gather that in the case of CDs, if bits are lost in the data stream, an audible 'popping' (I've never heard it myself) sound occurs.

So what about digital radio? Assming that a weak signal is picked up, I imagine that whilst the sound may be digital, it'd still be a poor digital signal. In this case, 'dropouts', i.e. a loss of bits now and then, could presumably be quite common.

What happens in this instance? I can't imagine that the technology is such that my explanation would lead to lots of 'popping' (pop music! :rolleyes: ) sound. Does anybody know how it would all work?

Regards
Some components pop if their muting circuit is of insufficient quality.

I would suspect that the digital radio would mute properly when signal is lost as between stations? Similar to an over the air digital video broadcast when images would pixelize, freeze and perhaps go black with below necessary signal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis