Digital or Analog ?

A

agular

Junior Audioholic
When using the digital out on a CD player, do the "Digital to analog" converters of the preamplifier change the sound of the CD player? I guess I am trying to find out what is the best way of making the connection, Digital or analog. And when would analog pass-through be better?

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
You need to know if the DAC in your amp is better or worse then the one in your DVD/CD player. Generally speaking the ones in recievers are better then ones in DVD/CD players when talking about players under $500. Hook up your player with the digital output, until you buy a very high end player at which point your dealer should tell you that the DAC is better from the source.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd tend to agree with that, but only if you also have a decent receiver.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
agular said:
When using the digital out on a CD player, do the "Digital to analog" converters of the preamplifier change the sound of the CD player?
agular said:
Yes, your preamp in your case would do the converson.

I guess I am trying to find out what is the best way of making the connection, Digital or analog. And when would analog pass-through be better?

Best to keep the info in the digital domain as far as possible. I would not worry too much about which dac is better. It is a chip, dime a dozen.
Unless you can evaluate it properly, you will not know, NOR will a dealer that has a financial interest in his recommendations.

Your energy is best spent worrying about your speakers and room acoustics.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Source D/A converter

If the source has Burr Brown D/As and the receiver or pre-pro doesn't, then you should probably use the analog connection for 2 channel listening. DVD players need the digital connection for processing of the Digital 5.1 soundtrack.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis