Digital (optical) or RCA audio cables

C

cmaurin

Enthusiast
Was wondering what major sonic difference (if any) would I get from connecting my DVD player to a receiver via the digital (optical?) jack rather than the standard RCA L/R jacks? I have learned from previous posts that component video is superior to s-video and composite video....is this the same for the audio section? Thanks :)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
apples to oranges.

The R/L RCA jacks output a two channel analog signal. Using either the coaxial or optical outputs sends a digital stream to the receiver which can then decode that into a 5, 6, or 7.1 DD/DTS channel signal.

C

cmaurin

Enthusiast
Thanks...So what you are saying is that if I were to use only the standard RCA (l/r) connection for the audio I would not benefit from the surround modes that the DVD and receiver offer? Is there an advantage to using a coax dig cable vs the optical type? or is it a matter of personal preference?

FallenAngel

FallenAngel

Enthusiast
If you use analogue interconnect, you are using DVD player's surround processing. If we're talking 2 cables, left and right, DD or DTS will be downscaled to stereo. Some players/receiver combinations permit 5.1 analogue, but this is mainly aimed at high resolution audio (SACD or DVD-A).

With the digital interconnect, DVD is only acting as transport of digital signals. You are using receiver's surround processing, which in general is much better for Home Cinema. Coaxial or optical? Theoretically little difference, transfer protocol is the same, but on my equipment coaxial is clearly superior.

If you use the same gear for music as well, enters the Digital to Analogue conversion chips (DACs). Yet again, analogue interconnect means using DVD player's DACs, whilst digital means using receiver's DACs. In theory, you should employ the better set of DACs. But cable quality eventually stirrs this up. Anyway, experimenting is fun...

Cheers
FA

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis