Digital input to mixer

B

biglouie

Audiophyte
I am trying to upgrade an in-house DJ system used for various events like weddings, receptions, and other parties. I am trying to find a good quality mixer that would handle 2 to 3 mic inputs, a digital input (or two), and some analog inputs. This would allow me to integrate a Mac computer with digital output into the system. Any ideas?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Louie

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I'd check out a Mackie Onyx mixer. You can get an add-on Firewire card that sends all the channels pre-everything but trim. You can also get the Onyx in 16-channel versions, if you need more inputs. Here's a link to it on Musician's Friend. Here's a link to the FireWire Card. Yeah, it isn't REAL cheap, but it'd do the job and do it well. Mackie mixers sound very clean and good, IMHO.

B

biglouie

Audiophyte
Thanks for the suggestion....I will check into it. I had not thought about FireWire as an option.

Louie

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Oops, it doesn't handle a digital optical input. But, I guess you COULD put a D/A converter in there if you wanted. A good-quality M-Audio D/A converter like this that retails for $300. As another option, you could try using a standalone Mackie Onyx preamp (1U, 8 inputs) that features a plethora of digital I/O. I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but it might be the ticket. It's about $1000 from Musician's Friend.

It has 8 Mic inputs, 2 of which can do direct input. It also does a bunch of D/A, A/D stuff too (I think it goes both ways, but I'm not 100%). If need be, check out the Mackie site and forums, they should have all the answers you need.

Edit: Reread your posts, and I think my first suggestion may be the best bet. Check it out.

B

biglouie

Audiophyte
I appreciate the help. Being such a neophyte, I wrongly identified optical as the only possible digital output from a computer. USB and Firewire are both viable options and the Mackie looks like a good way to go....thanks! If nothing else, you opened my eyes to how much I need to learn before I start throwing money around!

Louie

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
jaxvon said:
Oops, it doesn't handle a digital optical input. But, I guess you COULD put a D/A converter in there if you wanted. A good-quality M-Audio D/A converter like this that retails for $300.
You can get much better, for much cheaper, today:

Behringer SRC2496
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHSRC2496/

The Behringer does not cut corners despite the price. It uses standard hi quality parts(actually, the SRC2496 just happens to use the same AKM DACs as the SuperDAC) as standardized in production recording studios. It features more power and flexibility than many competing products that sell at a much higher price, to boot. :eek:

-Chris

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Good call there WmAx. I'm don't really know my D/A A/D converters that well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis