Digital Component Video Cables?

R

Resonance

Audiophyte
Hi, I recently purchased a set of Daiyo Digital Component Cables. It's supposed to be a rather reliable mid range Japanese brand of cables. The instructions on the card say to connect to YCbCr inputs/outputs.

I'm using the Sony DVP-NS300 DVD Player, which is an interlaced/non-progressive DVD Player. Its Component Video Out is labelled YCbCr as well.

From what I have read up:
YCbCr usually indicates interlaced/non-progressive.
YPbPr usually indicates both interlaced and progressive.

YCbCr sends digital signals.
YPbPr sends analog signals.

There is no such thing as digital component for consumers like us.

YCbCr/YPbPr are often mislabelled in Japanese brands, which doesn't really explain anything to me.

While some say the two connections mean the same and can be connected interchangeably.

Rather confusing for someone who has been using composites for 11 years with a Philips analog TV.

What I'm wondering is whether these cables will work with a Sony FD Trinitron KV-DA34M61 which has not arrived yet, but is very similar to this model http://www.mindlogic.com/MSTV_SONY_kv-dr34m69_DTL.shtml .

I would also like to know why these cables are called Digital, is there a difference? Or is it just a fancy name?

Oh and will these cables (supposedly YCbCr) work with a progressive DVD Player (presumably with YPbPr outputs) in the future? Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Resonance said:
Hi, I recently purchased a set of Daiyo Digital Component Cables. It's supposed to be a rather reliable mid range Japanese brand of cables. The instructions on the card say to connect to YCbCr inputs/outputs.

I'm using the Sony DVP-NS300 DVD Player, which is an interlaced/non-progressive DVD Player. Its Component Video Out is labelled YCbCr as well.

From what I have read up:
YCbCr usually indicates interlaced/non-progressive.
YPbPr usually indicates both interlaced and progressive.

YCbCr sends digital signals.
YPbPr sends analog signals.

There is no such thing as digital component for consumers like us.

YCbCr/YPbPr are often mislabelled in Japanese brands, which doesn't really explain anything to me.

While some say the two connections mean the same and can be connected interchangeably.

Rather confusing for someone who has been using composites for 11 years with a Philips analog TV.

What I'm wondering is whether these cables will work with a Sony FD Trinitron KV-DA34M61 which has not arrived yet, but is very similar to this model http://www.mindlogic.com/MSTV_SONY_kv-dr34m69_DTL.shtml .

I would also like to know why these cables are called Digital, is there a difference? Or is it just a fancy name?

Oh and will these cables (supposedly YCbCr) work with a progressive DVD Player (presumably with YPbPr outputs) in the future? Any help would be much appreciated.
Video cable, digital cable, they both have the same requirement to be 75 ohm characteristic impedance. So, they are the same and will work in video applications, interlaced or not.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Component video signals are analog. Companies put the 'digital' label on cables to impress the uninformed public. I guess they do it because people are unsure whether component video cables will be able to carry the 'digital' signal from a dvd.

Regardless of whether the inputs/outputs are labeled YPbPr or YCbCr (or 'ColorStream' in the case of Toshiba) any 3 75 Ohm cables will work. The dvd player converts the digital video info (mpeg-2) to analog before sending it out the component outs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis