H

HurleyBC

Audioholic Intern
I am looking to upgrade my digital box since the best picture i can get is through s-video. I was wondering if i should just upgrade to the one with component video or the HD box which is much more expensive. The problem is my tv 55" philips hdtv only has one input for compnent which is used for the yamaha dvd player. Any way I can run component to my yamaha rx 650 then a single cable to the tv, or maybe someone can enlighten me on a better way of doing things.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have not heard of a cable box having component outputs and NOT being an HD model cable box. If your TV is widescreen/HD then get HDTV, it is incredible. I don't know of there being any difference in price between a digital cable box and an HD cable box for me - using Cox Cable. I would double check the pricing you are being quoted. It is typically your typical cable fee - add 10 or 20 bucks for the digital channels, add 10 bucks for a box rental (whether HD or just digital) - so about 50 bucks a month (plus an internet connection often).

If you add DVR service that's usually another 10 bucks a month.

Yes - your receiver has 2 component inputs on it, so run the component from you DVD and cable box to the receiver, then to your display device.

H

HurleyBC

Audioholic Intern
ya I read the cable box wrong I guess they both have HD sorry it was late and didnt put two and two together. The difference is the video recorder, nice but adds 200 bux to the price so i will pass for now. Thanks for the help though upgradin seems like the way to go

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
200 bucks? Sorry - aren't you able to rent the equipment from the cable company? In these unstable video times buying is not a very good way to go.

For example: Many DVD recorders are in the $200 range. But, they can't record HDTV. Renting a HD capable DVR from the local cable company only costs me 10 bucks a month - or it'll be about 20 months before I would have paid for a DVD recorder that still can't record my HD shows. In 20 months I expect that BD will be available.

A

AZQ

Audiophyte
Digital cable box sound

I have a cox digital cable box with built in DVR. I have the sound routed from the cable box to a Yamaha HTR-5790 receiver via an optical digital cable.

Sound plays through the receiver for movie channels (HBO, Cinemax, etc.) and when playing a recorded program from the DVR. However, for all other channels, sound will only play through the receiver if I slightly back-up (i.e., watch live tv slightly delayed) the program.

Any ideas what the problem is?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis