Difference between an expensive and regular DVD player?

M

medstyle

Enthusiast
I have progressive dvd player by mitsubishi, which seems to be top notch to me. However, I have noticed there are much more expensive dvd players out there that are signifcantly larger. What makes those players so special? Is there really any difference in quality of the picture or sound? Mine has dvd-audio built in too, so what else is there?

E

Engine Joe

Junior Audioholic
Higher-end DVD players generally have better facility for dealing with the inevitable issues that MPEG compression introduces. It's a complicated subject, with many parameters and potential issues, which you can read more about here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_3/dvd-benchmark-introduction-9-2000.html

So yes - better video.

The other thing they often have are better DACs, usually superior to those on all but the best receivers. So you get a much better sonic experience, especially in SACD and DVD-A formats. The website above doesn't do benchmarking of the audio set, but usually their reviews of the players themselves go into the audio end.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Denon 2910 Multidisk Player

I recieved my new Denon 2910 multidisk player yesterday.
Thoughts and Observations So Far

1. Quality construction
2. Quality video
3. Quality sound

I have made comparisons to my existing Pioneer 578A

1. Denon is of course a better performer, please take cost into mind however!
2 The Pioneer 578A is a very good performer, if you consider price versus performance.
3. The Pioneer 578A delivers at least 80 percent the performance of the Denon 2910.
4.For those owners of the Pioneer 578A and 563A your still doing pretty good in both audio and video.
5. Perfectionists need the Denon, for the others enjoy the Pioneer's.
:)

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
I was going to replace my Denon 800 for a Denon 2910, but decided to go with buying an iscan HD and running my Denon 800 through it. According to the sales guy and my own eyes it makes a bigger difference in video quality.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis