Did Samsung Just Render Front Projection Obsolete?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Samsung’s new Onyx brand aims to redefine the cinema experience with unprecedented brightness and high dynamic range with screen widths ranging from 16.4 to 33.8 feet. The Onyx LED Cinema Screen dazzles viewers and makes the projection room obsolete. Is this the beginning of the end for front-projection movie theaters and how will this also impact the home cinema?

onyx.jpg

Read: Samsung ONYX LED Cinema Screen

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Cool! Finally get to see the new screens! But no, I use projection so I don't have to have an enormous electronic display -projection is not going anywhere!

Any hopes for a follow up article about the work that went in to designing the new theater sound systems - and specifically the work they did to compensate for losing the behind-the-screen speakers?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The only way this will compete with front projection in the home is when the price becomes reasonable. Right now you can get a damn fantastic projector for $3k give or take. No way to get flat panel prices down to where a 120" TV will be that cheap and maintain a good picture with longevity.

That being said, I'd love to see this in person.

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
It depends. It's probably more expensive than even the best front projectors. I can see it eventually replacing front projection for movie theaters, but not home theater.

S

Schrodinger23

Audioholic Intern
From what I understand, this is not technology that we could even implement at home right now and maybe not ever in the future unless we have a home theater that is the size of a movie theater. The spacing of the LEDs are too large, where most would be able to see the pixels.

I would love a 100" Sony Z9D for the home theater though, or an OLED that size. Unfortunately, I don't have $60,000 to spend on a flat panel. Things are going in the right direction though. You can get quite large screens closer to 100" for under $10,000. The 77" OLEDs from LG are now selling at $9,000 when they just arrived recently. 2 or 3 years ago this size in a OLED was $20,000 or more, if I remember correctly. Also, LG just started a huge plant in China for manufacturing OLEDs, which would hopefully help further increase the price at which these larger sizes are dropping.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
When they can make a AT screen that big, then I might get one.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
It depends. It's probably more expensive than even the best front projectors. I can see it eventually replacing front projection for movie theaters, but not home theater.
We are going to South Korea later this year, and I plan on going to the theater to see this Samsung. What I am curious about is how it is transported.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Last edited:
ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Why couldn't they have perforations between lcds?
Cool! Finally get to see the new screens! But no, I use projection so I don't have to have an enormous electronic display -projection is not going anywhere!

Any hopes for a follow up article about the work that went in to designing the new theater sound systems - and specifically the work they did to compensate for losing the behind-the-screen speakers?

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
in pieces. all they done is came up with border-less screen which they used a puzzle piece
https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-microled-makes-massive-modular-tv-a-reality/
https://www.lifewire.com/microled-4159911
I came up with an idea in the early 1990s to remove the seams on Megatron that was basically to make the edges angled. This would give you. A seam that would have no edge seen. The LED light angle wou,d conceal the edge. Curious how they solved they solved the problem.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Why couldn't they have perforations between lcds?

Liquid Crystal Display? You'd be asking for perforations between pixels - if that's even possible it couldn't be less expensive than a speaker array above and below the screen!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I came up with an idea in the early 1990s to remove the seams on Megatron that was basically to make the edges angled. This would give you. A seam that would have no edge seen. The LED light angle wou,d conceal the edge. Curious how they solved they solved the problem.
There are no seams since it's self illustrated panels, just an array of tiny LEDs. Why is it not very common? Great question - because it's a) hugely expensive to manufacture and b) each "pixel" or actually each led isn't nearly small enough to provide sufficiently high perceived resolution from typical home viewing distances.

P

Pottscb

Enthusiast
These will be $100K when they come out, then $80K, then $60K.
My pj/screen at home is 12 feet wide for 3 people wide sitting at 14 feet...these are 16 to 32 feet wide...who does that impress...from the rear row of the movie theater it would resemble watching an iPad at arms length.
That commercial theater would seat, what, 12?

Last edited:
DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
It also won't work for installations where you don't have the room for a super large screen, but you do have room for a drop down screen. That's where the rollable LG OLED will someday work very well.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I like it. However I don't the public will if it truly looks like a giant 4K TV at the movies.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
IMO, the 4K definition is insufficiant for a 33 foot wide screen. Some HD cinemas already project in 8K. That new Samsung product seems to be a backward pace.
Will it explode? :D

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
IMO, the 4K definition is insufficiant for a 33 foot wide screen. Some HD cinemas already project in 8K. That new Samsung product seems to be a backward pace.
Will it explode? :D
I think most movie goers won't complain about 4K at the cinema, however if looks like a a giant QLED they will. 4K resolution, overkill for most homes and not enough resolution for the cinema.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis