M

mfontmt

Audioholic Intern
Back again with more questions.lol.
I have my Denon 1613 receiver, EMP Tek 1010i sub, and my Energy 5.0 speakers. I know it's a modest setup,but here goes....

I tried the Audessey calibration out at six locations,but wasn't happy with this. So I did at just the main listening position and still find things like the dialogue to be low. I changed the dialogue setting in the receiver much higher and also tried putting the center channel to 6 db(I was scared to go higher, not knowing how far I could safely go). I changed sound mode to Movie, which was better, but still not good enough. It's not just when other things are going in the movie, it can also be when just dialogue is going on. I'm trying this on The Dark Knight Rises Blu Ray at the moment.
I'm not sure what else to do.
I thought about doing a Manual EQ on the receiver,but I'm not sure what the best settings are for this.
Any advice? You guys are always so helpful,I thought I'd see what you thought

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Do you have your seat pushed right back against the wall? I'm betting you do ;)

This is why I talk so much about room acoustics, even though hardly anyone every listens to me :p

Your speakers aren't the problem. Your receiver isn't the problem. EQ isn't the problem. Your problem is your seat's location in relation to the walls

You're getting very strong reflections and a build up of bass that's masking detail in the dialogue.

Pull your seat away from the back wall, and/or place bass trap acoustic panels directly behind you. That's the fix. :)

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
What is everything else set at? Strange that you're +6 on the center and still have issues with dialog..

M

mfontmt

Audioholic Intern
Actually, I think what happens is when I pushed movie listening mode, I believe it resets certain settings, including the center channel volume. I could be wrong. When I put it back at 6 db, it sounded much better. I just didn't realize it went back to an earlier setting.

Another question is what is LPF for LFE setting. My receiver options range from 80 - 250 HZ. What's a recommended setting?
Also, if I want to increase the bass, say for explosions and such, what settings should I mess with, the volume of the subwoofer (currently at half max), the subwoofer setting in my setup menu (under Bass), or the subwoofer volume in my receiver's speaker level setting? Or all three? I know the seemingly obvious choice would be the sub setting under bass, but I wanted to be sure. I also don't want to damage my sub by putting too much into it ( I guess).
Lastly, I have the crossover freq set to max on my sub and Phase set to 0 (not sure what phase is), but Audyssey set the crossover for my fronts at 100 Hz and my Center and surrounds at 90 Hz. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks to all who reply

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Audyssey does not have the final word on xover settings, your receiver does, but that said, leave them be. It is just about certain that Audyssey found your F3 points to be that high on your current speakers; if you lower xover, these lower frequencies will not have been accounted for during EQ, simply because the software sees that your speakers have no business trying to play that low.

The phase, don't worry about it for now, Audyssey should have taken care of that. If you didn't have Audyssey, you can have a friend play with the dial while you're seated, and the better setting will sound more full. Obviously, use bass heavy material.

LPF you can leave at highest setting. It doesn't really matter for a huge proportion of what is made for it, at least as far as my understanding or impression. However, once in a while a movie will actually send LFE info that does get significantly above 80hz, and so you'll get some in that case.

So you're now wondering, well but my xover is at 80hz, how or why could it matter? You then have to understand that "xovers are not brick walls". Hope that helps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis