dialogue vs action scene volume?

B

BIG_KAHUNA

Enthusiast
So I can't tell with the new high def setup (blu ray hdtv an klipshc 5.1) if my levels are way off or this is how a movie is actually supposed to sound. I feel like the dialogue is pretty low and the action scenes seem really loud. Not that I mind but i feel some of my guests do not appreciate the HD audio like we do :confused:. I upped the center speaker level but makes it sounds really off like loud speaker style, obviously from that specific speaker, type sound. if that makes sense? But then I think of when I'm at the movies and realize those actions scenes are really freeking loud? tuned the system via yamaha's mic and auto setup. Anyone else have this happen? Thoughts?

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Yes, movies contain dynamics. Explosions can be as much as 20dB louder than the average volume, and soft dialogue can be as much as 20dB quieter than the average. So there's potentially as much as a 40dB swing from the quietest sounds to the loudest. 20dB is 100x as much power, and about 7x louder in the way we perceive sound.

Many people, especially young people today, are used to extreme amounts of dynamic compression these days, thanks to the incredibly horrible way music is distributed. Virtually all dynamics have been removed from modern music. Every sound is simply as loud as it can be, so there are no fluctuations.

So when they hear dynamics - where some sounds are quieter than others - they now assume that something is "wrong". It isn't. In real life, there are different volume levels. Movies seek to capture this. And yes, you'll notice that in movie theaters, explosions are WAY louder than just normal dialogue. It's supposed to sound that way at home, too! But again, most people are used to their crappy TV speakers, which only have around 2 Watts to work with, and thus dynamically compress the heck out of everything.

One of the great joys of buying a good sound system is getting that dynamic range back! But how that an entire generation is so used to crappy dynamically compressed quality, they think something is "wrong" when they hear it.

If it's late at night, and the swings in volume are bothering people who are trying to sleep, then fine, compress the dynamics by using the "night mode" on your receiver. But otherwise, nothing is wrong.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
The reference you should be using for comparison is a movie theater.

But I've had a lot of dialog problems with center channels in the past.

Just for fun: disable your center channel (set for phantom center) and see if the volume levels even out more. If not, then you just may not be used to the range of a movie; if so you need to start troubleshooting problems with your center.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
So I can't tell with the new high def setup (blu ray hdtv an klipshc 5.1) if my levels are way off or this is how a movie is actually supposed to sound. I feel like the dialogue is pretty low and the action scenes seem really loud. Not that I mind but i feel some of my guests do not appreciate the HD audio like we do :confused:. I upped the center speaker level but makes it sounds really off like loud speaker style, obviously from that specific speaker, type sound. if that makes sense? But then I think of when I'm at the movies and realize those actions scenes are really freeking loud? tuned the system via yamaha's mic and auto setup. Anyone else have this happen? Thoughts?
How many sources have you listened to? I used the Audysses sound calibration and it seemed to me after playing a few sources I notched the center up and the rears down just a fraction. Probably hardly noticeable for most sources.

Also, every now and then I get a disk which the surrounds, particularly the rears, are way too loud. Or the dynamics is way beyond anything I've ever heard in even a theater. I think it's just some disks are over mixed. Perhaps for the Cool factor? On these disks I'll sometimes increase the compression and/or the center channel volume. I hate doing it, but the alternative, not hearing the dialog, is even worse.

Good luck.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
So I can't tell with the new high def setup (blu ray hdtv an klipshc 5.1) if my levels are way off or this is how a movie is actually supposed to sound. I feel like the dialogue is pretty low and the action scenes seem really loud.
What you are watching/listening to is a huge variable. Every movie is mastered differently and in the most extreme cases, different tracks on same disc (DD vs DTS) may have different levels. Any specific movie that was especially bad? If I have it, I can play it on my system and report back.

Conversely, try Saving Private Ryan on your system. This movie has dialogue during action sequences. If you cannot clearly hear the dialogue when bullets are whizzing around and grenades are going off, there might be a problem with the system layout or settings.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis